View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 01:31 AM

Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of

Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of
I used the Dirty Parts tray, but I didn't buy their kit because I didn't really like the components that were used.

I just designed built my own that was a lot more feature rich and more robust than the " Cheap-Dual-Bat Setup ".

This including a bunch of features that some logic based hardware that also protects the starter battery from a fault like an under voltage condition on the house side.

I am just going to copy paste this from another thread I made a post on, but this should give you an idea of how I went about it...

The most challenging part of the kit was probably just making the cables and actually finding a place to mount stuff. It wasn't difficult but it was a bit time consuming it make it nice.

I made everything myself, including the mains cables which were crimped and protected with adhesive lined shrink + a layer of regular stuff.

My electrical project and needs started with a requirement for more storage/amp hours to run smaller but more persistent accessories loads like an ARB fridge, accessory charging, and radio communications gear... while maintaining saftey for vehical starting for those off-grid adventures and leisure camping trips.

Dirty Parts Dual Battery Tray
2nd Battery
MEGA fusing for mains cable, no crappy car audio stuff here. Crimped and bolted cable.
New Wiring / Refresh crimped Connectors for everything.
Blue Sea ACR (Automatic Charging Relay)
Blue Sea m-LVD(programmable low voltage disconnect feeding both aux fuse panels)
Blue Sea Fuse Panel x 2 (One under hood, one in cab)
Wire
Solar Panel (for emergency or extended stays when I dont feel like starting or driving to charge)
MPPT Solar Charge Controller
Anderson Powerpole quick disconnects for accessories.

As my needs change and as I keep adding items I will eventually need to upgrade my alternator, but as of now, my loads are still well within a safe operating range.

The system is robust and worry free, you can't mess it up even if you tried. Not having to worry about the starter battery going dead is a pretty big piece-of-mind item for me... almost mission critical considering the type of camping I do sometimes... The system is 100% isolated when the engine is not running plus I have protections in place to maintain the health of the accessory battery.

I also take the time to turn everything on to test and measure all electrical loads... Lighting, compressors, ARB fridge, 2 x Ham Radios...

external battery pack made from 3 x old APC SLA cells

fusing, switches, led indicator, and control wiring...

Outdoor = Inside freezer / Inside = Car cabin temp

Last edited by Bumbo; 12-13-2016 at 04:06 AM.
Bumbo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote