User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2015, 09:50 PM #1
skier46er's Avatar
skier46er skier46er is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Utica, NY
Age: 21
Posts: 233
Real Name: Mitch
skier46er is on a distinguished road
MY GARAGE
skier46er skier46er is offline
Member
skier46er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Utica, NY
Age: 21
Posts: 233
Real Name: Mitch
skier46er is on a distinguished road
MY GARAGE
HID Bulb Upgrade

So I am going to upgrade to HID bulbs. I know I need the ballasts but would anyone recommend a brand that is cheap? I want to be able to have HIDs in high and low beam. Do I need two sets of bulbs or one special HID bulb?
__________________
Mitchell Schweitzer

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited "Forerunner"
"Forerunner" Build Thread
skier46er is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:45 PM #2
jman11788's Avatar
jman11788 jman11788 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 491
jman11788 is on a distinguished road
jman11788 jman11788 is offline
Member
jman11788's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 491
jman11788 is on a distinguished road
If you're planning to drop them in your reflector housing I suggest not to. However if that's what you desire then go 35 watt and Kensun is a good relatively cheap brand. Their ballast don't flicker like most cheap brands and are made out of metal. DDM tuning is also pretty good as well
jman11788 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:07 PM #3
99Runnr 99Runnr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 997
99Runnr can only hope to improve
99Runnr 99Runnr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 997
99Runnr can only hope to improve
Innovited AC 55W HID Kit H4 H7 H11 H13 9003 9005 9006 9007 6000K Hi Lo Bi Xenon | eBay

edit; just realized that is the 55w kit. That company but as I said, I'd agree with the 35w kit comments.

I run these on my civic, they are VERY bright! I have never even needed hi-beams with these.

Their customer service is excellent. I got a set where only one ballast bi-beam function was working, I emailed them and within 48 hours I had another kit in my mailbox.

I found them by doing lot's of Amazon review reading, it's cheaper to get them on ebay. I agree about using the 35w kit, I use the 55w kit in my civic and I get hi-beamed pretty often and we aimed them low, with proper housings. They are just SUPER BRIGHT so the wieners on the road who don't understand staring at lights blinds you, have an issue with it.
99Runnr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:32 PM #4
Bad_Vision's Avatar
Bad_Vision Bad_Vision is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 2,175
Bad_Vision is on a distinguished road
Bad_Vision Bad_Vision is offline
Senior Member
Bad_Vision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 2,175
Bad_Vision is on a distinguished road
I buy the KENSUN stuff.
Always have good luck and great service had a bad ballast and they sent me two new ones free!
__________________
Classic's Section Moderator
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/index.shtml
My 1985 TDI swapped 4Runner http://www.toyota-4runner.org/classi...-tdi-swap.html
Bad_Vision is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:53 AM #5
Twisted Sid's Avatar
Twisted Sid Twisted Sid is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: High desert, CA
Posts: 230
Twisted Sid is on a distinguished road
Twisted Sid Twisted Sid is online now
Member
Twisted Sid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: High desert, CA
Posts: 230
Twisted Sid is on a distinguished road
If you are going to run HIDs in the reflector housings, you will deserve to have your headlight busted out.
Retrofit them with projectors or leave them alone.
__________________
94 pickup: 2wd, 22RE, 5spd,
Front: Total Chaos Uniball Kit, Fox 2.5 8'' coilover Shocks,
Rear: Deaver F67 Leaf Springs, Fox 2.0 14'' Reservoir Shocks, TRD E-locker Axle 4.88 Gears
33x10.5 BFG ATs

99 4Runner SR5: 5VZ, 2wd Stock (for now) Daily driver
Twisted Sid is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:32 AM #6
MyHigh's Avatar
MyHigh MyHigh is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,115
Real Name: Tim
MyHigh is on a distinguished road
MyHigh MyHigh is offline
Senior Member
MyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,115
Real Name: Tim
MyHigh is on a distinguished road
Being able to see while driving at night is priceless, however, blinding everyone else on the road is just plain wrong. Save a little money then when ready to do it right, do the projector conversion trust me in the long run you will be pleased with that decision.
__________________
'99 5-speed, URD short shifter, Tundra Bilstien/881, 5100/891, TT diff drop, SS Panhard Bar, Studt drop links, Projectors, E-Locked, 231 TBU, Highlander
MyHigh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:08 AM #7
I_bRAD I_bRAD is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Eastern Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,062
I_bRAD is on a distinguished road
I_bRAD I_bRAD is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Eastern Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,062
I_bRAD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Runnr View Post
They are just SUPER BRIGHT so the wieners on the road who don't understand staring at lights blinds you, have an issue with it.
I don't understand what you're getting at with this comment. Assuming you DO understand staring at lights blinds you, then why would you put them on your car?
I_bRAD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:35 AM #8
99Runnr 99Runnr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 997
99Runnr can only hope to improve
99Runnr 99Runnr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 997
99Runnr can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_bRAD View Post
I don't understand what you're getting at with this comment. Assuming you DO understand staring at lights blinds you, then why would you put them on your car?
Obviously you don't. Let me elaborate unless this was an attempt at humor?

Yes, staring at a light blinds you. If I didn't "understand" this, I'd be blind running CNC plasma for 9 years without shaded lenses ever at sub-12" distances daily. The reason is where the person CHOOSES to stare or place their eyes. Do you get that part?

I have a 2014 Corolla S. The car has FACTORY Toyota LED headlights. I haven't driven that car ONCE at night without being flashed. Is that my fault? The housing is designed for it, the cutoff is where it should be, the reason is where people CHOOSE to stare! If you can't manage to drive down the road without staring at my car/truck like a deer, that isn't my problem.

My Civic lights are probably about as bright as the Corolla. The cutoff was measured, the light doesn't scatter, the housing is correct. People have a hard time in life. Just like loud car's are speeding car's. See the point?

Hope that helped out? No matter what, a bright bulb that illuminates the road well at night, is going to piss those same people off. The headlight height is higher, it projects from a worse position no matter what if you choose to STARE into the bulb.
99Runnr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:49 AM #9
I_bRAD I_bRAD is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Eastern Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,062
I_bRAD is on a distinguished road
I_bRAD I_bRAD is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Eastern Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,062
I_bRAD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Runnr View Post
Obviously you don't. Let me elaborate unless this was an attempt at humor?

Yes, staring at a light blinds you. If I didn't "understand" this, I'd be blind running CNC plasma for 9 years without shaded lenses ever at sub-12" distances daily. The reason is where the person CHOOSES to stare or place their eyes. Do you get that part?

I have a 2014 Corolla S. The car has FACTORY Toyota LED headlights. I haven't driven that car ONCE at night without being flashed. Is that my fault? The housing is designed for it, the cutoff is where it should be, the reason is where people CHOOSE to stare! If you can't manage to drive down the road without staring at my car/truck like a deer, that isn't my problem.

My Civic lights are probably about as bright as the Corolla. The cutoff was measured, the light doesn't scatter, the housing is correct. People have a hard time in life. Just like loud car's are speeding car's. See the point?

Hope that helped out? No matter what, a bright bulb that illuminates the road well at night, is going to piss those same people off. The headlight height is higher, it projects from a worse position no matter what if you choose to STARE into the bulb.
Funny you mention the new corolla as I've noticed there's something up with those lights too. I can always tell its a corolla coming at me. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a recall on those in the future.

So your position is that I'm an idiot and if I don't like it I shouldn't look towards your headlights. Those pesky laws regulating headlights are arbitrary and you've got all the answers. Carry on then. I'll just close my eyes as I approach you. If I happen to run into you, well sorry- any idiot knows that you shouldn't get hit by a truck so it's your fault for being in front of me.
I_bRAD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:51 AM #10
robb1887's Avatar
robb1887 robb1887 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 699
robb1887 is on a distinguished road
robb1887 robb1887 is offline
Member
robb1887's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 699
robb1887 is on a distinguished road
Yea I'm sorry but any "drop in" HID to a halogen designed reflector housing will scatter light. Period. It doesn't matter how low they are aimed they are not designed to for an HID bulb and will throw light into oncoming traffic.

Staring at that light directly or not will affect the human eye, ever wonder why the doc shines that pen light at your eye while you stare at the wall past him. Its to check your pupil reaction/constriction. The pupils will constrict when all the extra scattered light is coming in oncoming traffic and therefore effect ("blind") anyone driving the opposite direction.

If you like to drive around blinding people that's your choice, but I'd rather not have 3000lb rolling wrecking balls driving at me at speed.

Have YOU ever considered that maybe in your smaller compacts you aren't in fact getting flashed by oncoming traffic but approaching a vehicle that has proper projectors and cut offs that maybe just hit a bump in the road and since your civic gets flashed all the time for having drop in HID's you're just rustled.

HIDs are great. I love my HIDs. I also love having my cut offs and projectors to properly aim and distribute my HID light so as to not distract/blind/restrict oncoming traffic vision to make everyone safer.
robb1887 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:14 AM #11
99Runnr 99Runnr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 997
99Runnr can only hope to improve
99Runnr 99Runnr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 997
99Runnr can only hope to improve
Adding an edit; I'm a smartass. It comes out frequently. However, if you hit me head on cause you can't avoid the blinding mass approaching your face, that makes YOU the shitty driver not me. The sun is bright too, do you only drive at night? Haha.

Luckily you guys are in different states then me, so we should all be safe here at this table. Let me get this straight though..

Toyota released a factory car, that has LED bulbs. You notice out of every car on the road, I'M BLIND IT'S A COROLLA?!?! YEP!

I have no reason to plead my case here. You guys can nitpick, use examples of optometrist lights almost touching your eyeball to a damn headlight on my car, bumps in the road being high beam flashes, I'm not elderly, I know what's happening. I have retrofit housings on 2 cars, my Civic included. I "paid to play" as they say.

I don't agree with blinding people. I hate the $20 ebay kit's in a stock housing just as much as the next guy. However, my point was missed in general. There ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE, who no matter what will high beam a bright light. BMW, Audi, Mercedes, ANYTHING with bright lights that are factory, will get a flash if you encounter the people who can't approach a vehicle without feeling as though the grim reaper is coming.

They are widely released and out there on the streets. They are all bright, my 06 Acura TL use to get flashed, factory lights. My 2012 Mustang GT had $700 factory HID's, they got flashed. My Corolla is the devil so we will ignore that one, it will be recalled as the one exception to all cars. So many brands now, even Kia/Hyundai's have HID lights or LED now I've seen. If ALL these lights bug people so much, they need to start road blocking the streets to keep us all safe.

Otherwise, like I implied. People will flash you cause they aren't able to divert their eyes, from whatever housing/bulb/dilated pupils, whatever case or dysfunction applies, even in the "proper housing".

Last edited by 99Runnr; 12-18-2015 at 11:23 AM.
99Runnr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:26 AM #12
jeremyc74 jeremyc74 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 1,389
jeremyc74 is on a distinguished road
jeremyc74 jeremyc74 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 1,389
jeremyc74 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Runnr View Post
Yes, staring at a light blinds you. If I didn't "understand" this, I'd be blind running CNC plasma for 9 years without shaded lenses ever at sub-12" distances daily. The reason is where the person CHOOSES to stare or place their eyes. Do you get that part?

.
When you're driving down the road and a car is coming at you with brights on, are you suggesting we should be looking off in the woods? Because that's the only way to avoid being blinded.

Putting HIDs into reflector housings is a bad idea. You're getting hi-beamed because you deserve it!
jeremyc74 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:29 AM #13
99Runnr 99Runnr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 997
99Runnr can only hope to improve
99Runnr 99Runnr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 997
99Runnr can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
When you're driving down the road and a car is coming at you with brights on, are you suggesting we should be looking off in the woods? Because that's the only way to avoid being blinded.

Putting HIDs into reflector housings is a bad idea. You're getting hi-beamed because you deserve it!
With $500 retrofit housings and FACTORY hid/led housings now that is "the brights on"?

Jesus christ, reading comprehension ain't what it use to be. You guys should do a group buy for welders helmets on here so you can all navigate the roads safely.

I will drive and keep getting flashed. Apparently it's gonna happen and then I can await the chance to sue the shit out of Ford, Acura, Toyota and all the other car's I've had where this happened.

Starting off Friday optimistic
99Runnr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:36 AM #14
robb1887's Avatar
robb1887 robb1887 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 699
robb1887 is on a distinguished road
robb1887 robb1887 is offline
Member
robb1887's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 699
robb1887 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Runnr View Post
Adding an edit; I'm a smartass. It comes out frequently. However, if you hit me head on cause you can't avoid the blinding mass approaching your face, that makes YOU the shitty driver not me. The sun is bright too, do you only drive at night? Haha.

Luckily you guys are in different states then me, so we should all be safe here at this table. Let me get this straight though..

Toyota released a factory car, that has LED bulbs. You notice out of every car on the road, I'M BLIND IT'S A COROLLA?!?! YEP!

I have no reason to plead my case here. You guys can nitpick, use examples of optometrist lights almost touching your eyeball to a damn headlight on my car, bumps in the road being high beam flashes, I'm not elderly, I know what's happening. I have retrofit housings on 2 cars, my Civic included. I "paid to play" as they say.

I don't agree with blinding people. I hate the $20 ebay kit's in a stock housing just as much as the next guy. However, my point was missed in general. There ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE, who no matter what will high beam a bright light. BMW, Audi, Mercedes, ANYTHING with bright lights that are factory, will get a flash if you encounter the people who can't approach a vehicle without feeling as though the grim reaper is coming.

They are widely released and out there on the streets. They are all bright, my 06 Acura TL use to get flashed, factory lights. My 2012 Mustang GT had $700 factory HID's, they got flashed. My Corolla is the devil so we will ignore that one, it will be recalled as the one exception to all cars. So many brands now, even Kia/Hyundai's have HID lights or LED now I've seen. If ALL these lights bug people so much, they need to start road blocking the streets to keep us all safe.

Otherwise, like I implied. People will flash you cause they aren't able to divert their eyes, from whatever housing/bulb/dilated pupils, whatever case or dysfunction applies, even in the "proper housing".
For being so crass on the boards you really don't take different opinions well, and the fact that you threaten people over a discussion forum is silly, but you keep doing you bud.

You were also never clear that you had projectors in your Civic.

Sounds like the area you live in is concentrated in dicks... from what I read.

I've had my projectors in my lifted daily driven 4Runner for 2 years and never been flashed once.

Just my 0.02.


But to get back on topic:
To answer OP (@skier46er, didn't want you to miss this) directly though, to have a high and low beam function you MUST have a projector as HID bulbs only have on/off. The high/low beam function is only controlled through the adjustment of the cutoff shield within a bi-xenon projector housing that allows more light to be sent through the lense.

FX-R projectors or something similar will work for your need.

Last edited by robb1887; 12-18-2015 at 01:07 PM.
robb1887 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:49 AM #15
I_bRAD I_bRAD is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Eastern Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,062
I_bRAD is on a distinguished road
I_bRAD I_bRAD is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Eastern Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,062
I_bRAD is on a distinguished road
Hey, did you guys know that Toyota recalled FJs in 2013? Guess why? The headlights were too bright!
I_bRAD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking to upgrade headlight bulb WHORERUNNER 3rd gen T4Rs 38 05-25-2019 05:51 PM
License plate bulb upgrade Toyfour14 5th gen T4Rs 22 07-10-2015 09:05 PM
Fog light bulb upgrade Toyfour14 5th gen T4Rs 19 07-06-2015 10:11 AM
tail light brake bulb out but bulb is good Rock 3rd gen T4Rs 5 10-20-2012 01:57 PM
Headlight Bulb Upgrade for 06+ Projector Headlights audiqtr 4th Gen T4Rs 14 01-14-2012 02:10 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2019


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.