Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

CJ3Flyr will become famous soon enough
Super Moderator

CJ3Flyr will become famous soon enough
Well not-so-good-news on the tire front. My GY Wrangler SA’s had to go. The GYSA’s would not hold balance. After two were replaced and all of the tires rotated on the rims to require the least amount of balance weight, runout checked etc they wouldn’t hold balance. I could drive a few weeks and the shaking would creep back in. When rechecked they were indeed out of balance.

The shop manager and friend through family said in his 20+ year career he has on very rare occasion seen tire/rim combos where the tire would migrate or turn on the rim. That is what was happening on mine we speculated.

I asked about scuffing the bead seats and he was adamant that we shouldn’t. I don’t quite understand why but… I do know that I was done screwing around. I have a 3 year old 4runner that I wasn’t enjoying at all. He also said I could put on anything (within reason) and they’d work something out. They worked it out and I’m riding smooth, quiet and wimpy on some Toyo’s. I was sorely disappointed that in the Atlanta market the 255/75/17 is not popular to the point he couldn’t come anywhere near the price he could for the 265/70/17’s. Given I was looking for the cheapest way out and I am truly Ric’s favorite kind of 4Runner owner, the Web-Wheeler, I settled for the mild tread. If the pricing was similar I absolutely would’ve have run the 255/75/17 A/T’s. The dealer’s distributor was happy to work a great deal on these so I had to take it. Great road tire so far but I can tell I’m going to cut a sidewall even with my mild off-roading. It’s truly a Michelin CT replacement tire. The GYSA was an incredibly well constructed, tough tire for a ‘P’ tire.

If I could have a ‘total do-over’, knowing what I know now, I would want the GYSA’s to not slip! I liked the tire. Obviously that wasn’t in the cards for me so I should’ve sprung for the Revo 2s.

I don’t want to scare anyone off of the 255/75/17 size for a second. IMHO tall sidewalls rock and the 255/75 is a great match for stock or mildly lifted 4runner, especially the V6’s. I can tell the sidewall on the Toyo’s is softer than GYSA yet the ride, at speed, is very similar just quieter. The ride at low speeds (below 25-30mph) is better with the Toyos. I can’t help but wondering if following in tenguns footsteps (235/80/17) wouldn’t be cool too.

Oh well, live and learn. It's just as important to post our failures as it our successes Separate Toyo post...

Last edited by CJ3Flyr; 07-26-2010 at 09:24 PM.
CJ3Flyr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote