User Tag List

Old 04-24-2005, 08:25 PM #1

24runners is on a distinguished road

just put Limited gauges in my 05 Sport

I picked up a Limited gauge cluster off ebay and finally got around to putting it in today...I used the electronics from my gauge cluster with the face and needles of the limited.

I have pics and more detailed info I will post in the morning.

I like the Limited gauges much better than the plain sport gauges.
2005 4Runner Sport V8 4x4 (Titanium Metallic)

Mechanical: 4.7L 32v DOHC V8 SFI Engine w/VVT-i (270hp) | 5 Speed ECT Auto | Torsen Locking Center Differential | Full Time 4WD | Down-Hill Assist Control | Tow Package | Hill-Start Assist Control | X-REAS Sport Enhancement Suspension | Front 13" & Rear Disc Brakes | Safety: Vehicle Stability Ctrl w/Traction Ctrl | Anti-Lock Brakes w/Brake Assist & EBD | Tire Pressure Monitoring System | Convenience: Light Gray Leather (sooooft) | DD Cargo | JBL Synthesis 10 speaker w/ Rear Seat Audio w/wireless remote | DRLs | Power Moonroof | Modifications: Rear reflector/light mod | '02 Sport Skid Plate | Gentex AutoDimming Mirror w/ compass | K&N Air Filter | Metal Door Sill Plates (Burtman Industries) | 5800K Headlights/Fogs (on with high beams) | VVT-i grille emblem | TRD Auto Shift Knob | Toyota All-Weather Floor Mats | 20" Enkei's | Muth Signal Mirrors | TRD Exhaust | Driver's Side Handle | pen/coin holders | Japanese smoked tail lights | Limited Gauges | Japanese Headlights | Xtec 5k HIDs
24runners is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:41 AM #2

Boaz is on a distinguished road

Boaz is on a distinguished road
oh... dammit, post up a pic alreadY I have wanted to do this mod from day one. How much was the cluster?
Old 04-25-2005, 09:15 AM #3

a few points:

I used the Limited gauges from a 2004 Limited...which did not have the 'tire pressure warning light' which is no biggie for me because I dont have the stock rim's tires or spare anyway ;)

I used the black face background, needles, and slanted plastic piece from the limited (has the silver ring)...

the red lines are different (vvti)

the needles are still amber and not red (because I used my electronics and not the Limited's) The do, however, throw the little dot on the side as the needle moves I'm wondering if the amber is made up of green and red led and maybe I could snip the green leg of the led connector? just a theory

the led milage display seems a hair higher in the sport than in the limited...not where you cant read it or anything, just seems like its a little higher in the display 'hole' of the black face

the Limited gauges are all molded and 3D looking...the stock sport gauges are just flat with that gear design around it

I think i paid like ~$200 for the gauges off ebay
Attached Images
just put Limited gauges in my 05 Sport-lg1-jpg 

Mechanical: 4.7L 32v DOHC V8 SFI Engine w/VVT-i (270hp) | 5 Speed ECT Auto | Torsen Locking Center Differential | Full Time 4WD | Down-Hill Assist Control | Tow Package | Hill-Start Assist Control | X-REAS Sport Enhancement Suspension | Front 13" & Rear Disc Brakes | Safety: Vehicle Stability Ctrl w/Traction Ctrl | Anti-Lock Brakes w/Brake Assist & EBD | Tire Pressure Monitoring System | Convenience: Light Gray Leather (sooooft) | DD Cargo | JBL Synthesis 10 speaker w/ Rear Seat Audio w/wireless remote | DRLs | Power Moonroof | Modifications: Rear reflector/light mod | '02 Sport Skid Plate | Gentex AutoDimming Mirror w/ compass | K&N Air Filter | Metal Door Sill Plates (Burtman Industries) | 5800K Headlights/Fogs (on with high beams) | VVT-i grille emblem | TRD Auto Shift Knob | Toyota All-Weather Floor Mats | 20" Enkei's | Muth Signal Mirrors | TRD Exhaust | Driver's Side Handle | pen/coin holders | Japanese smoked tail lights | Limited Gauges | Japanese Headlights | Xtec 5k HIDs

Last edited by 24runners; 04-25-2005 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:07 PM #4

cdoyle is on a distinguished road

cdoyle is on a distinguished road
Not sure why your 04 cluster didn't have the tire pressure indicator?

I have an 04 Limited, and mine does have this? It has even came on in the winter time.

I thought that was standard on the Limited?

either way, that's a cool upgrade. When I first bought my Runner that was the first thing I showed everybody. 'look at the little dot move' (lol)

cdoyle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:14 PM #5

maybe the auction was wrong..did the 03 limited's have the tire pressure warning?

yeah i have the dot *hehe* but its still amber....during the day tho the needles look very red

maybe i'll find an 05 limited gauge cluster somewhere *haha*...it was pretty easy to swap...just had to be really careful with the needles and their positions....checked everything with my OBDII laptop software..and even one of those "your speed is" roadside radars *hehe*

Old 04-25-2005, 06:40 PM #6

TRD04RUNNER is on a distinguished road

TRD04RUNNER is on a distinguished road
why don't your needle light up red??I think the 03 are the one that don't have the TPW light. I wanted to do that to because i like the look of the red needle on the limited but if it's still going to be orange I ratter switch the hold thing and have the red needle or it not worth doing it and haveing your needle out of wack.

Last edited by TRD04RUNNER; 04-25-2005 at 06:45 PM.
TRD04RUNNER is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:53 PM #7

the needles do not light up in red because the needle LED's on the gauge cluster are amber....to use the entire piece from the Limitied, I would have to find a Limited gauge cluster with the same milage as mine because the odometer is built in ;)

And since my 4Runner is so new *hehe* I couldnt find a Limited gauge cluster with anything close to the couple of thousand miles I have on it...(I think the cluster I had was like 40k miles)

If you can find a limited cluster with the same milage as yours, it will swap right in

Old 04-26-2005, 12:30 AM #8

rando is on a distinguished road

rando is on a distinguished road
Cool find!
rando is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:29 AM #9

CVsGX470 is an unknown quantity at this point

Guess I really don't see much of a difference between the two except for a few items. Am I missing the magnitude of this?

CV
2006 Lexus GX470
2003 Toyota 4Runner
CVsGX470 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 12:24 PM #10

joyride is an unknown quantity at this point

joyride is an unknown quantity at this point
Stupid question

On the stock Sport Edition (2005), do you get the little red dot that follows the gauge ? Still waiting to pick up my new truck, just curious.

joyride
- 1983 Olds Cutlass Supreme
- 1984 Toyota Celica
- 1989 Chev Cavalier Z24
- 1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD

Current Rides
- 2005 4Runner Sport - Titanium Silver (Canadian Hood Deflector, Rear Spoiler, Sport Pedals, Door Sill Protectors )
- 2001 Lexus IS300 - Millenium Silver - Sport Package B
joyride is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:14 PM #11

CVs4Runner...its just personal taste...the sport gauges have just a completely flat face with the numbers on it, the silver 'gear' like design around the edge and the silver in the middle (see the pics) and plain needles....the sport has a contoured 3D type face (more attractive in my opinion)..nothing wrong with the sport gauges...I just cant leave anything alone and like the limited gauges

joyride...the sport comes with orange needles that do not show the 'dot'...the limited are the only ones that come with red needles/red dot

my 'dot' is orange because I only used the face of the limited cluster...not the entire piece which has the red LEDs on it

Old 04-27-2005, 02:32 PM #12
Elite Member

Koz is on a distinguished road
Elite Member

Those look like different year or V6-V8 gauges, the redline is not the same.

Koz
Koz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:34 PM #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Koz
Those look like different year or V6-V8 gauges, the redline is not the same.

Koz
As I stated above...the red lines are different cuz of the VVTi

Old 04-27-2005, 03:00 PM #14
Elite Member

Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 24runners
As I stated above...the red lines are different cuz of the VVTi
Sorry I missed that!

Koz
Koz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 04:05 PM #15

Quote:
Originally posted by 24runners
CVs4Runner...its just personal taste...the sport gauges have just a completely flat face with the numbers on it, the silver 'gear' like design around the edge and the silver in the middle (see the pics) and plain needles....the sport has a contoured 3D type face (more attractive in my opinion)..nothing wrong with the sport gauges...I just cant leave anything alone and like the limited gauges

joyride...the sport comes with orange needles that do not show the 'dot'...the limited are the only ones that come with red needles/red dot

my 'dot' is orange because I only used the face of the limited cluster...not the entire piece which has the red LEDs on it
That's cool! Hope I didn't sound like I didn't like it. I am just not familiar nor could I see what the difference was btwn the two. Thanks for the info.
CV

PS...what is this, "dot," talk all about?
2006 Lexus GX470
2003 Toyota 4Runner
CVsGX470 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: