Site Navigation

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2004, 11:53 PM #1
Super Moderator

Mark86 is on a distinguished road
Super Moderator

RS3200 Question

I have the stock alarm system that the 2003 4Runner came with (the remote with the three buttons). I wanted to test the alarm and hear what it sound like, so I hit the lock button and left the driver windows down. I then went and opened the driver door and there was no sound. I tried it again and there was no sound. I hear the beeps when I open and close the doors and I hear the horn honking when I hit the panic button. How do you get the alarm to make noise when it is set and a door is opened? Do you have to wait a certain period of time before it activates?
Nav, XREAS, Adjustable Ride Height, Sunroof, Side Curtain Airbags, Rear Spoiler, Double Deck Cargo, Chrome Exhuast Tip, Bug Shield, All Weather Mats, Driver Side Assist Handle, Audiovox Remote Starter, 2006 Skid Plate, LED lighting- interior and running boards, USA-Spec PA-15
Click For Pictures of My Current 2005 Limited, Detailed LED Conversion Instructions, Click For Pictures of My Retired 2003 Sport
Mark86 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:45 AM #2

rando is on a distinguished road

SR5s and Sports do not have a standard euipment alarm. There were two available alarm options. A basic alarm and the RS3200+. Regardless, both work the same and are activated when you close and lock the doors.

All 4runners have the beep associated with locking/unlocking the doors, the horn/panic feature, and the 3 button remote. Based on your description, it sounds like you don't have the factory alarm.
rando is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:35 AM #3
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

I did not do anything with the car regarding an alarm. This is what the car came with when I picked it up. I thought the car should at least go off when a door is forced open.
Nav, XREAS, Adjustable Ride Height, Sunroof, Side Curtain Airbags, Rear Spoiler, Double Deck Cargo, Chrome Exhuast Tip, Bug Shield, All Weather Mats, Driver Side Assist Handle, Audiovox Remote Starter, 2006 Skid Plate, LED lighting- interior and running boards, USA-Spec PA-15
Click For Pictures of My Current 2005 Limited, Detailed LED Conversion Instructions, Click For Pictures of My Retired 2003 Sport
Old 03-02-2004, 10:14 AM #4

JGRIMBALL is an unknown quantity at this point

JGRIMBALL is an unknown quantity at this point
If you have the same one I had....

On the center console by the clock there is a little red
car that will come on when you lock the doors.

If you have that....

You have to wait like 30 secs for the alarm to activate
then try what you said.
Black 2003 Limited V6 4Runner
Borla Dual Exhaust
K&N AirCharger Performance Intake Kit
Viper 791xv Remote Start
XM Radio & Alpine 12" Subwoofers
KC Back-Up Fog Lights
+ other various mods!!!
JGRIMBALL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 11:55 AM #5

I believe all 4runners have the little flashing CAR light. It's used by the keyless entry system and also used by the integrated factory alarm (if you have it). If you close and lock the doors with the key or the buttons and then wait 30 seconds, your alarm should go off if you reach through the window and open the door. If it doesn't, then it's either disabled, malfunctioning, or you simply don't have an alarm.

The easiest way to confirm that you have the factory alarm (but not the RS3200+) is to look under the hood. The factory alarm includes an extra horn. It's mounted between the passenger side fender and the air filter box. If it's not there, you willl just see the 1 pin connector where it goes. If you have that horn, then you have the alarm. If not, then you may have the rs3200+ or no alarm at all.

Last edited by rando; 03-02-2004 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:37 PM #6
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JGRIMBALL
If you have the same one I had....

On the center console by the clock there is a little red
car that will come on when you lock the doors.

If you have that....

You have to wait like 30 secs for the alarm to activate
then try what you said.
I do have a little red car flash when I take my key out of the ignition. I did not wait 30 seconds when I did my test. I will definetely try that tonight.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:43 PM #7

tkr128 is on a distinguished road

Was the RS3200+ an option when you bought the car or did you have it installed? If it wasn't listed on the sticker and you didn't install one after you bought, you don't have it. All 4Runners come with 2 remote "keyless entry" remotes. They do just that, lock and unlock your doors without a key.

The red car with the key in the middle is just the immobilizer system. Once you remove your key from the ignition, it starts flashing and is standard on all 4Runner models.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:52 PM #8
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

The RS3200 is not listed on my sticker as an option and I did not have it installed as an option. I tried the 30 second thing and the alarm did not go off. What is a good alarm where it goes off when the doors are forced open. I do not really need a glass sensor. Oh well. Dealer told me that all 4Runner's come with alarms. :bonk:
Old 03-02-2004, 06:24 PM #9

Ummm pretty much ANY alarm will do that. You can still get the RS3200+ system. They are available on-line and via ebay for around $200. If you go that way, it will work with your existing remotes and the red light already on the center console.

For the same money though, you probably can an alarm with more features. Or you can just get a basic alarm for less money.

My ride came with an alarm but it was one that the dealer pre-installed. It was one made by Code Alarm and was able to work with the factory remotes. It had it's own LED also. It was annoying since it honked the horn every time I locked/unlocked the doors (in addition the chrip of the keyless entry system). Worse still if I left any interior or lights or the headlights on, they would trigger the alarm when the automatical light control system (standard feature of all 4runners) turned off the lights. I yanked it and gave it back to the dealer (since I never paid for it anyhow).

I have on order an RS3200+ which should be coming today. I'll let you know what I think of it. Again, I know there are better alarms for the money but I wanted something oem.

Sorry you were mislead about having (not having) an alarm system in your truck.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:37 PM #10

02sport is an unknown quantity at this point

02sport is an unknown quantity at this point
i added the rs3200+ to my 02 with keyless....straightforward plug & play deal as wiring is already there for everything......hopefully its similar to the 04 installation.....yeah you could get a whole lot more features with aftermarket stuff, but if you prefer to keep everything oem, cant go wrong with the rs3200+....
if the theives REALLY want the truck, they'll get it

'94 sr5 v6 extra cab
Pewter Pearl Metallic
02sport is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 06:41 PM #11

snowjay is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark86
The RS3200 is not listed on my sticker as an option and I did not have it installed as an option. I tried the 30 second thing and the alarm did not go off. What is a good alarm where it goes off when the doors are forced open. I do not really need a glass sensor. Oh well. Dealer told me that all 4Runner's come with alarms. :bonk:

All 4Runners come with an ANTI-THEFT device but they all do not come with alarms. SR5's and Sports come with a anti-theft engine immobilizer which basically disables the igntion should someone break in and try to steal it (they need a toyota key). The Limiteds come with the above plus a full blown alarm system with a siren. The alarm system/siren is an option on SR5/Sports so it would be listed on the window sticker if you have it.

Both systems use the little car/key symbol in the center of the console. The owners manual describes how each system works and how the keys work.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:11 PM #12

Quote:
Sorry the dealer mislead you. One would think a 30k truck would come with an alarm system of some kind.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:13 PM #13

Quote:
Originally posted by rando
I have on order an RS3200+ which should be coming today. I'll let you know what I think of it. Again, I know there are better alarms for the money but I wanted something oem.
Keep us posted on this, I'm going to get one soon and install it myself. Just want to know if you run into any complications.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:19 PM #14
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by tkr128
Sorry the dealer mislead you. One would think a 30k truck would come with an alarm system of some kind.
I said the same thing to myself when I found this out. You pay over $30,000 for a car and there is no standard alarm. When I spend that kind of money, I want to know that my car is secure. I know of cheaper cars that come with an alarm. :thumbdwn:

tkr128, I will definetely keep you posted. I will pursue this the next time I go in for service, which will be around the middle of next month.

Last edited by Mark86; 03-02-2004 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:29 PM #15

Quote:
I said the same thing to myself when I found this out. You pay over $30,000 for a car and there is no standard alarm. When I spend that kind of money, I want to know that my car is secure. I know of cheaper cars that come with an alarm. :thumbdwn:
Well your car is secure... no one can drive it away.

Sirens/alarms provide a false sense of security, when was the last time you went and checked on a vehicle whose siren was going off? Most likely by the time you even got there the thief would be in and out with your radar detector in hand and no one saw him. They actually provide no security for the vehicle, all they do is make noise if someone tries to break in. The stock anti-theft that comes on the 4Runners provide more security than any siren. If you want true security get some bullet proof glass.

I'll replace some plastic trim and a radio, but they aren't getting the truck.