Home Menu

Site Navigation

User Tag List

Old 03-17-2004, 01:14 PM #1

rando is on a distinguished road

4runner PC

So far I've got the Via EPIA M10000 Nehemia 1GHz mainboard, 80GB HD, 512MB DDR, and a Delorme Earthmate USB GPS. The system runs Media Engine and Street Atlas 2004 on top of XP. For now it just boots into Media Engine and starts playing my MP3/WMA collection on disk. I'll have to wait until I get a monitor to use the GPS part.

For the functional prototype (pictured below) I'm using a standard low-noise ATX supply and an FM modulator to broadcast the music to my stock stereo HU. I power the supply with a coleman 400W inverter plugged into the 12V jack in the back of the truck. The inverter and the ATX supply will be replaced with an OPUS 150W DC to DC ATX supply (on order). The OPUS has an integrated shutdown controller to properly turn off the PC when you turn the ignition off.

I plan to completely remove my HU and custom fit a 7" Lilliput Touchscreen XGA TFT (on order) into the dash. I'll have to throw in an amp or two and probably upgrade the speakers. I'm also going to purchase and integrate an OBD-II scan tool into the sytem. So far, none of the software I've seen for controlling this stuff is very tightly integrated so I expect to write some custom code. I want everything to work seamlessly with voice recognition. Finally, I'll be putting a a DVD drive in for movies and ripping content as well as wireless networking so that I can work on the PC (upload content) from my home computer. I also must install an interlocking mechanism to disable videos and/or games from functioning while the truck is in motion (required by CA law).
Attached Images
4runner PC-img_1385-small-jpg 

Last edited by rando; 05-03-2004 at 10:51 AM.
rando is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:34 PM #2

mike_d is an unknown quantity at this point

mike_d is an unknown quantity at this point
way cool! i really like that! i really like the obd-ii monitoring. i'd do something like that if i had a truck new enough to have obd-ii. plus if i'm not mistaken the epia M series has on board mpeg decoding, so you can set it up (for the passengers) to watch movies too.

'89 4runner dlx: OME 2" rear sprigs, 1.5" RB BJ spacers have been ordered
mike_d is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 01:53 AM #3

I guess I could do a dual monitor thing to allow back seat passengers to watch movies. I know it has VGA and Svideo outputs built-in but don't know if it supports both concurrently or not. Worst case I could use the PCI slot for another video card but at the moment I plan to put a better audio card in there. If I need more than 1 card, I can add a PCI riser.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:48 AM #4

JGRIMBALL is an unknown quantity at this point

JGRIMBALL is an unknown quantity at this point
What will the final build total be for all that?
I have never seen a PC in a car but that
is freakin awesome. Being a huge PC guy
myself I am very intrested in how the finish
product works and looks.
Black 2003 Limited V6 4Runner
Borla Dual Exhaust
K&N AirCharger Performance Intake Kit
Viper 791xv Remote Start
XM Radio & Alpine 12" Subwoofers
KC Back-Up Fog Lights
+ other various mods!!!
JGRIMBALL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 11:29 AM #5

Quote:
Originally posted by JGRIMBALL
What will the final build total be for all that?
It depends on if I go with or without the headunit (headless). I assume the blitzsafe auxiliary input adapter, if it ever materializes, will be a cheaper alternative than adding amps and speakers. Here's the APPROXIMATE street price on most of the planned parts. Some of this stuff I already had lying around.

This inventory and price list will be kept up to date
Hardware:

Via EPIA M10000 Nehemiah mini-itx mainboard - $150

512MB PC2100 DDR - $90 (actually free since I already had it)

60GB 2.5" 7200RPM Hitachi laptop hard disk - $180

Casetronic Travla C134 Mini-ITX case - $135 (paid $80 used)

Opus 150W DC to DC ATX Power Supply w/ included turn-on/off controller, low voltage drop out protection, and power sequencer - $195 (SOLD for $190)

iTuner M1-ATX DC to DC ATX Power Supply w/ included turn-on/off controller, low voltage drop out protection, power sequencer - $75

Lilliput 7" TFT Touch Screen XGA w/ 2 A/V and 1 VGA input - $250

Delorme Earthmate USB GPS w/ Street Atlas 2004 - $100

Blaupunkt 4ch amplifier - $180

Radioman Serial AM/FM radio - $20 (No longer in use because the reception isn't good in the truck)

USB to Serial adapter - $20

Creative Audigy NX USB Sound Card - $110

iMic USB Sound card (for microphone) - $50

Microphone - $5 (need a better one)

4 port USB 2.0 Hub - $20

Panasonic CW-8123 Slim slot loading CDRW/DVD drive - $85

Mapower slim optical drive enclosure - $50

DLink 802.11b USB dongle - $30

8in1 USB Card reader - $15

Future Items
OBD-II USB Module - ~$100 (TBD)
Weatherproof CCD camera (for backup camera) - $TBD

Software:
Windows XP - $
Frodoplayer - $FREE
Iguidance navigation - $

Installation:
Custom bezel for LCD - $20 for paint, mdf, glue, bondo
Misc Cables, Wire & Connectors - $150

Last edited by rando; 02-19-2005 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:32 AM #6

...hopefully cheaper than a supercharger.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:30 PM #7

Iman74 is on a distinguished road

Iman74 is on a distinguished road
Rando,
You should really take this post and also put it in www.pcmech.com . It's a forum I a member of that would really appreciate this.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:18 PM #8

Iman, I've been using mp3car.com but am not far enough long to make a meaningful post there since my planned implementation is fairly typical from a carpc standpoint.

I plan to keep overview level posts (pictures, feature list, equipment inventory) here since it's a 4runner related project. Maybe someone else has attempted something like this in a 03/04 4runner. I'm really interested to see what kind of custom console/interior work has been done and/or avoided.

Last edited by rando; 03-18-2004 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:27 PM #9

webshot is an unknown quantity at this point

webshot is an unknown quantity at this point
Good deal! I've been using my IBM laptop fo the same use for about a year now. Works quite well. I think we both need a dash mounted touch screen though!
webshot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 02:31 PM #10

Yep, I've used a laptop a few times for music, video, and even GPS. In California, It's illegal to operate a laptop in the front seats while the vehicle is in motion.

Last edited by rando; 03-22-2004 at 04:14 AM.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:25 AM #11

My 7" touchscreen just came in yesterday. This thing is sweet. I now need to start figuring out how to mount it in the dash.

I've also ditched the 3.5" HD in favor of a 2.5" model. Hitachi makes a killer 7200RPM 60GB that's (according to my tests) actually faster than my desktop drives! More importantly, the smaller drive has allowed me to go with an off the shelf case solutions (Travla C134).

I'm now just waiting on a suitable DC-DC power supply solution to arrive from Opus. While I wait, I'm also looking at building a Sproggy 3.5 or 4.0

I'll post updated pics of my setup later today.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:55 PM #12

flownosaj is an unknown quantity at this point

So, now that you've got your screen, what are your plans for placing it?

Here's what I've been thinking about since last night...
Placement of the screen I just spent a while out in the Yoda to see where I might be able to place it if I decide to commit to doing this. I want to keep this looking as stock as possible.

What I'm thinking right now is that the only possible place (other than the prime piece of realestate that is the double din radio spot) is where the mini storage tray under the environmental controls are. I don't much care for how low it sits or the steep angle upwards (would nearly touch the drink holder)....

Possible idea--put the stock JBL changer in the storage tray area since you won't need it all that much and put the touch screen in the double din spot and have a large portion of the GPS, Sat radio reciever and other stuff back behind it.
For anyone who's had the dash apart--Is there enough room behind the tiny storage tray to put the radio down there?

Placement of the computer If I decide to mount the majority of the CPU in the cargo area, I'm thinking of making a custom case that fits over the passenger side rear wheel well...kinda like the aftermarket subwoofer box. This way, it's easily accessable and doesn't comprimise cargo space/utility.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with yours.
Old 04-25-2004, 03:26 PM #13

Thanks for posting here. It should be more convenient if we keep this all in one thread.

Search around here (or at Yoda) for some pics of the dash with the center panels off. IIRC, there isn't enough room behind the center storage bin to fit the radio. It's also too narrow I believe.

I too was thinking of this location for the screen but also think it will be too low. At the very least, to use the cubby for the screen, you'd have to come up with a way to angle it back, so that screen tilted up a bit. If you were using the cupholders, you wouldn't be able to use the screen. All in all, I don't think it's the best spot.

I too want a factory look. My plan, at the moment, is to find a way to custom fit my panel in the factory radio spot. The Lilliput, as is, is too tall to fit in that opening. If I remove the casing though, it should fit. I'll just need to find a way to mount it, and then cover up the openings. I might get a stereo shop to do this. There are many posts on the internet about doing this kind of thing with fiberglass and body filler (though not in a 4th gen 4runner). I've never done it and am not sure I want to my first experience to be on my center console. For the SR5, the center console trim piece is ~$400 retail...so it get's expensive if you make a mess.

As for the PC itself, I had originally intended (and may still) to put it into a custom case. Right now I've gone with the C134 and it will fit nicely in the passenger side rear storage area. If you have the JBL system, I believe you have a Subwoofer in that spot, so your custom enclosure plan is probably the next best option. Search the forums for 'inverter'. There is a thread about adding the factory inverter and/or your own. In there are some pics I posted showing the rear end with the interior panels removed (drivers side only). There is quite a bit of space behind those panels. with some custom work, you should easily be able to fit your pc, psu, amps, and anything else you need behind those panels. I too don't want to give up any space.

I haven't decided yet if I'll stick with the factory head unit or not. If I do, I'll have to find another place for the screen. Remounting the head unit is not an option .... I think it would look to ghetto. I'm leaning towards ditching the head unit and then will need to install amps and speakers. Unfortuneately, that will nearly double the cost of the system (sigh).

Last edited by rando; 04-25-2004 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:47 PM #14

I would hate to rip out a perfectly fine in-dash changer in my new 4Runer the horror...

I'm pretty limited in were I could place it if I'm not willing to get rid of the in dash unit. I've got plenty of time to figure out where to put the screen, I guess.

How about mounting the screen in a custom enclosure directly on top of the dash above the radio.
I'm not sure how this would block visibility or if it is even legal to have something there, but it does put it at a nice place for easy access and viewing. Make the enclosure black and textured like the dash and nobody's the wiser...
Old 04-26-2004, 02:07 AM #15

Maybe, though that seems a little high up to me. Where would you run the wires in that case? Would you put holes in the dash? EEK!

Truly, if the carpc does everthing it should, you wouldn't/shouldn't miss the CD changer.