Home Menu

Site Navigation

User Tag List

Old 11-30-2007, 07:30 PM #1

WaterMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Lightbulb Toyota Air Intake Pre-Cleaner

Saw this on a buddy of mine's FJ...one of those "WTF?...why didn't Toyota think of this for all of the 1GRFE engines".
This is a factory pre-cleaner box that replaces the OEM air box for the 1GRFE engines.
What it does is help remove dust by spinning the incoming air into the chamber...and that dust settles into a cup for easy removal.
I spend some time on some pretty dirty/dusty roads and get tired of vacuuming out my filter every time I get home.

(Yea, I cleaned my engine last week...and knock the dirt off it regularly.)

This is just like the cyclone gizmos some guys attach to the top of their snorkle rigs.
What it is NOT is a throttle body gizmo...it only removes dust.
Cost was $116 from my local dealer...it took two days for them to get it in. The part number is 17730-31030.
Attached Images
Toyota Air Intake Pre-Cleaner-cyclone1small-jpg 
2011 Limited, Shoreline Blue: AlphaRex - Luxx-Series Alpha-Black Switchback DRL Bar Projector LED Headlights, MORIMOTO XB LED TAILS, MORIMOTO XB LED Fogs, XB LED MIRROR LIGHTS, BILSTEIN 5100 Front and Rear w/coils (3" lift), CONTINENTAL CrossContactLX20 275/55/20, Husky Floor Liners (Front/Rear 98571) and Cargo 25721) and Husky Mud Flaps (56921 and 57921), TRD CAI with Jet Flow Mass AirFlow Sensor, Borla Cat Back Exhaust, Denso SK20HR11 Plugs, Cabin Air Filter Carbon PAF-02-995 from Premier Air Filters (replacement for 87139-YZZ10), Lexar Echo ZE 16GB USB in glove box, Craven Speed Stubby antenna, Gorilla Wheel Locks 73631T
WaterMan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:36 PM #2

Photo from toyota manual that helps to describe this as well.
Attached Images
Toyota Air Intake Pre-Cleaner-cyclone-pre-air-cleaner-jpg 
2011 Limited, Shoreline Blue: AlphaRex - Luxx-Series Alpha-Black Switchback DRL Bar Projector LED Headlights, MORIMOTO XB LED TAILS, MORIMOTO XB LED Fogs, XB LED MIRROR LIGHTS, BILSTEIN 5100 Front and Rear w/coils (3" lift), CONTINENTAL CrossContactLX20 275/55/20, Husky Floor Liners (Front/Rear 98571) and Cargo 25721) and Husky Mud Flaps (56921 and 57921), TRD CAI with Jet Flow Mass AirFlow Sensor, Borla Cat Back Exhaust, Denso SK20HR11 Plugs, Cabin Air Filter Carbon PAF-02-995 from Premier Air Filters (replacement for 87139-YZZ10), Lexar Echo ZE 16GB USB in glove box, Craven Speed Stubby antenna, Gorilla Wheel Locks 73631T
Old 11-30-2007, 10:23 PM #3

Casper is on a distinguished road

Casper is on a distinguished road
4runners actually have one in the OEM airbox but its a flat screen after the airfilter (making it really an after filter).
Magnaflow Exhaust, Toyo Proxes S/T, Volant CAI, Stop Tech F/R SS Brake lines, Axxis Ultimate F/R Pads, Valvoline SynPower Dot4 Fluid, NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs, Sylvania Silver Star Ultra lights (Lows, Highs, Fogs), Water Wetter, Front 4Runner Sill Protectors, Pioneer DEH-P80MP Deck, Alpine Type-S 6x9F & 6 1/2R, Infinity Bass Link II
Casper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:33 PM #4
Super Moderator

Uneek is on a distinguished road
Super Moderator

Uneek is on a distinguished road
Appears to be a nifty idea. My question is how much "cleaner" or "longer" would the pre-cleaner extend the service life of the air filter to justify it's cost. OEM filters cost me about $15 and I probably replace my filter every 10-15k miles. It looks like it's meant more for larger dust particulates like sand, etc.

By all means, in no way am I trying to knock the product. Just wondering the cost/benefits much like buying a hybrid car vs. an all gas model.

Amy's Mom: "Who's that you're talking to?"
Amy: "It's Uneek, spelled in a 'unique' way."
Uneek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:45 PM #5

<<<< is just really nice <<<< is just really nice <<<< is just really nice <<<< is just really nice <<<< is just really nice

<<<< is just really nice <<<< is just really nice <<<< is just really nice <<<< is just really nice <<<< is just really nice
Wouldn't those blades actually restrict flow?
<<<< is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:09 PM #6

The roads I have been driving on lately have been choked with a fine dust...mainly due to high volume heavy machinery. Not to mention the severe lack of rain here on the east coast has made it worse.
I have had to change my filters twice in the past year...and vacuumed them out twice each besides. (It has gotten to the point where I buy two at a time now.)
I plan on keeping this rig for while...at least to 100k miles (or until gasoline disappears...whichever comes first).
If this extends the life of my filters by double...then in a couple of years it'll be worth it.

As for the vanes restricting air flow...so far haven't noticed anything one way or the other. I suppose I'd have to put it on a dyno to know for sure. But next week I'll be out there again...so who's to say it's the dust or the vanes. It's not like I can drive that fast when the roads get crazy with dust. (It's a good thing window cleaner is cheap.)
Old 12-21-2007, 09:41 AM #7

Kmvreter will become famous soon enough Kmvreter will become famous soon enough

Waterman,
Nice find.
Sorry but I have a few questions:
How is this working for you?
Do you see a difference in the air filter dirt volume or is it too soon to tell?
Was it a direct bolt in?
Can you take another pic directly from the top because I want to see if there is anything protruding forward (like the dust cup)? I have a second battery right where the power steering reservoir used to be and it is a tight fit. Just want to make sure I have room if I do this mod.

'04 SR5 V6 4x4 Galactic Grey Mica. Delivered 03/17/2004. Link to my mod list in posts 7, 8 & 9 of this thread: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?t=21354
``````````````````````` The battle begins at the end of your driveway... Game On! "Car!"
Kmvreter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:05 AM #8

KMVRETER,
This thing is physically smaller than the old box and uses the same mounting holes...so I think you should be in good shape.
Attached Images
Toyota Air Intake Pre-Cleaner-21-12-07_0958-jpg 
Old 12-21-2007, 11:09 AM #9

KMVRETER,
as for the amount of dirt...I haven't had to any off-road driving the past few weeks...just city driving. But even with that...there is a fair amount of crap in there already.
Not sure if you can see it well in the picture though...it's not like there's a sand storm in that cup.
Attached Images
Toyota Air Intake Pre-Cleaner-21-12-07_1000-jpg 
Old 12-21-2007, 11:17 AM #10

AlphaQup is on a distinguished road

AlphaQup is on a distinguished road
This thing reminds me of the "Tornado" gimick. But if it's meant to catch dirt, it's not a gimick .
Old 12-21-2007, 11:20 AM #11

Yea, it's just a dirt catcher and so far seems to do that part well. I will take some more pictures in a few months to show what effect, if any, it has had on the filter itself.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:45 PM #12

Quote:
Originally posted by WaterMan
Yea, it's just a dirt catcher and so far seems to do that part well. I will take some more pictures in a few months to show what effect, if any, it has had on the filter itself.
Thanks for the fitment info and pic. It's on the tentative future mod list so I look forward to see how effective it is for you.

'04 SR5 V6 4x4 Galactic Grey Mica. Delivered 03/17/2004. Link to my mod list in posts 7, 8 & 9 of this thread: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?t=21354
``````````````````````` The battle begins at the end of your driveway... Game On! "Car!"
Kmvreter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:05 AM #13
Super Moderator

CJ3Flyr will become famous soon enough
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Update

I have had mine on for a while now. My T4R is approaching 15k and the air filter is only slightly discolored. I have pinched the rubber boot on the pre-cleaner many times and a mixture of dust and sand always comes out. The pre-cleaner will extend my air filter life from about 12-15k miles (that's an avg for my other vehicles) to 25-30k is my guess. I have good power, good mpg, no complaints.
CJ3Flyr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:35 PM #14
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

Thumbs up Update

My filter did make it 25k instead of the more normal 12-15k I am used too. Many would've let it go to 30k. So far no complaints, good mod.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:16 AM #15
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

It has been a while since i squeezed the bellows to empty the pre-cleaner; probably 12k. I just 'forgot' about it. WOW! I could fill half (or more) a shot glass with dirt and the paper element still looks good Coming up on 20k for the paper element. This thing really works!

Last edited by CJ3Flyr; 07-13-2009 at 09:19 AM.