Home Menu

Site Navigation

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2004, 08:29 AM #1

nahau is an unknown quantity at this point

2000 4runner navigation installed!

Hello All,

This is my very first post. I've been hanging around for quite some time perusing all the good topics and posts by all you good folks.

I just installed a Camry nav system (from oemvalue.com) into my 4runner and thought I would share some info about the install.

You can check it out here.

http://www.geocities.com/cnahau/navinstall.html

Sorry, no installation photos, but I only wanted to post the important info that would help with the actual installation should anyone ever need it.

nahau
nahau is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:11 PM #2

black_120 is on a distinguished road

black_120 is on a distinguished road
very, very nice... how much did that factory nav setup cost you? id prefer to use an aftermarket unit like the eclipse 2454 (since its made by fujitsu ten) but that looks like it should have came in the runner

Last edited by black_120; 11-04-2004 at 09:36 PM.
black_120 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:52 PM #3

The nav unit cost $1575. It's made by Denso, which makes all the Camry navs, I believe. It looks "factory" because it basically is.

While trying to decide which way to go, I also took a trip down to Cerritos Toyota to look inside the 2004/2005 4runners and sequoias and the nav screen looked the same. I wasn't able to try them out there, but the units all look like what I have. That helped my choice quite a bit.

I believe the "true" 4runner nav units are 2-pieces... a screen in the dash, and a base unit located in the back somewhere. The Camry unit is an all-in-one which is mounted in the double-din slot.

Initially, I wanted the Eclipse too, but the cheapest I could find it was around $2299 (retail) and $1900 (ebay). Many people don't know that the Eclipse nav doesn't carry the "theft" warranty like some of their other stuff. Don't believe what some Eclipse sellers say, there is NO theft warranty!(verified by Eclipse customer service). And it only comes with a 1-year repair warranty unless you have it installed by an authorized dealer... then the repair warranty is 3 years. The Eclipse is nice, but after taxes/installation at Goodguys (Ca), $2667 was too much for me! That's almost $1000 more for about the same thing... (less movie dvds, mp3)! Fujitsu-ten makes units for Lexus, so I've read, but word is the map DVD is the same one! Of course, I don't know if this is true or not, so don't take my word for it.

I decided that I would rather take my chances with Denso! So far none of my stock stuff has died on me yet. My other truck is a '93 Toyota SR5 pickup and that stereo is still rock solid. Junk, but rock solid! Of course, maybe I'm just lucky!

Good luck with choosing which way to go, I had a hell-of-a-time trying to decide too! But now, if I want some starbucks, all I have to do is program the POI and all the coffee shops where ever I happen to be pop up on the screen!

nahau

Last edited by nahau; 11-04-2004 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:36 PM #4

rearviewmirror is an unknown quantity at this point

rearviewmirror is an unknown quantity at this point
Great info!!

I am going to order one as soon as they have it available. I had a 99 Limited 4WD that my ex g/f got and then I bought an 03 LandCruiser w/ DVD NAV. I liked it but it was too big, so after a small stint w/ a new M3 I have returned and bought a 2000 LTD 4WD. I want that NAV system for sure though! That the one thing I miss about my LC. I hope that OEMinstall site lists some NAVs for sale, because I'll certainly jump on it.

One question.. is there any difference for vehicles w/ climate controls? Also how do I tell if I need the JBL stuff. My 2000 LTD doesn't have any JBL emblems anywhere. It's does that new looking radio as opposed to the one my 99 LTD had. Please advise if I need to spend the extra $120 or not.

THX.

Last edited by rearviewmirror; 11-07-2004 at 08:19 PM.
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 10:54 PM #5

My stock stereo didn't have any JBL emblems anywhere either. My guess is you probably have the same stereo and the same amp. The Matsushita amp looks like this...

http://www.oemvalue.com/pics/toyota/toyotastockamp.jpg

The only way to really tell is to pull the panels and take a look. The amp is located just behind and below the stero. You won't be able to see the Matsushita label unless you pull the amp, but there are only two screws and it's very easy to remove. The nav unit will work with the Masushita amp, so you will save $120 if you just order kit #2 like I did.

As far as climate controls, they should have nothing to do with the stereo.

Email Troy at www.oemvalue.com and ask him any questions you have. He'll be glad to help.

nahau