Home Menu

Site Navigation

User Tag List

Old 12-31-2010, 01:49 PM #1

Kmvreter will become famous soon enough Kmvreter will become famous soon enough

V6 4th Gen driveshaft thump experience

I want to relay my recent experience with the "driveline thump". The megathread that exists about this issue, http://www.toyota-4runner.org/proble...riveline+clunk , deals mainly with the V8. Rather than continue on there I thought to start a new and more specific thread about the V6.

I very rarely experienced the driveshaft binding on my V6. Usually I would go between greasing intervals without ever experiencing it. It did occur periodically but it was usually near the next scheduled greasing and I never related it to temperature (more on that later.) I always thought I should get a second grease gun to load the slip yokes with moly additive grease as recommended. Finally broke down when I saw one on sale. I have a hard time finding synthetic grease with moly at a reasonable price. Even Mobil 1 Syn is expensive so I stock up when I make the occasional trip to MI. Found some Valvoline DuraBlend Syn with moly (at Autozone) so tried that.

Did the regular scheduled greasing back in the fall. Put a few extra shots of DuraBlend in the slip yokes (previously used Mobil 1 on all the zerks.) Very shortly after that I started getting the thump from the binding. Turns out it's temperature related. This happened to coincide with the cold weather. Now that we've had a few days of milder temps I've noticed the binding is gone. Turns out the DuraBlend doesn't have as deep a working temperature range as the Mobil. So, moly or not, it's stickier at colder temps.

Maybe this applies to those with the V8 issues as well, especially in the winter. Not going to worry about the short-term thumping for the rest of the winter. Lesson learned is to avoid Valvoline DuraBlend moly fortified due to the limited working temperature range in winter. I need to find a synthetic moly grease with a lower working temp (like Valvoline Synpower.) Next excuse for a trip to MI...

'04 SR5 V6 4x4 Galactic Grey Mica. Delivered 03/17/2004. Link to my mod list in posts 7, 8 & 9 of this thread: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?t=21354
``````````````````````` The battle begins at the end of your driveway... Game On! "Car!"

Last edited by Kmvreter; 12-31-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Kmvreter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:05 PM #2

wbwatson79 is on a distinguished road

wbwatson79 is on a distinguished road
You know I never thought about the temperature drop causing the return of my clunk. I had the clunk mostly under control using the "arkie6 fix" from the Tundrasolutions site but it has come back in the past month and a half. I tried pumping grease until it came out of the seal and draining the excess by removing the zerk but the clunk is still there. I am using Mobil 1 synthetic so perhaps I'll pull it apart, clean it out, and try a moly grease. This is my first winter with the 4Runner so it may just be coincidence but I sure hope this makes the clunk go away...again.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:21 PM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbwatson79 View Post
You know I never thought about the temperature drop causing the return of my clunk. I had the clunk mostly under control using the "arkie6 fix" from the Tundrasolutions site but it has come back in the past month and a half. I tried pumping grease until it came out of the seal and draining the excess by removing the zerk but the clunk is still there. I am using Mobil 1 synthetic so perhaps I'll pull it apart, clean it out, and try a moly grease. This is my first winter with the 4Runner so it may just be coincidence but I sure hope this makes the clunk go away...again.
I'm having the recent issue because I went away from Mobil 1 to the wrong moly grease (has a higher working temp than the Mobil.) I'm surprised Mobil isn't working for you (even without moly) because it always worked for me in the past and we definitely are colder, on average, up here than in NC. Maybe the V8 just needs more frequent lubing?
Let us know what moly grease you use and how low the temp range is on it. Don't use DuraBlend. I was just going to go back to using Mobil 1 if I can't find a reasonably priced low temp moly.

'04 SR5 V6 4x4 Galactic Grey Mica. Delivered 03/17/2004. Link to my mod list in posts 7, 8 & 9 of this thread: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?t=21354
``````````````````````` The battle begins at the end of your driveway... Game On! "Car!"

Last edited by Kmvreter; 01-03-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:02 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmvreter View Post
... I was just going to go back to using Mobil 1 if I can't find a reasonably priced low temp moly.
Update on my own posting.
I found the Valvoline SynPower (synthetic with moly with low working temp.) Priced a buck lower than the Mobil at Advanced Auto. It's not available at Autozone or O'Riellys.
I may still try to lube that slip yoke before the end of winter to confirm my temperature theory. I'm definitely getting the thump regularly in cold weather.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:34 PM #5
Banned

DocMT is on a distinguished road
Banned

DocMT is on a distinguished road
I grease my driveshaft slip yokes and U-joints every other oil change. I just use regular old all-purpose black grease. I rarely get any driveshaft clunk at all on my V6 4Runner. It happens once in a blue moon, but usually when I'm just about due for that 2nd oil change that I grease it up anyway.

I remember reading that you should not pump too much grease into the slip yokes. But then I read the Chilton and Haynes manuals for the 4th gen 4Runner and they say you should keep pumping until grease comes out of the seals. Now I realize that's how U-joints are greased, but in the manual they definitely say the slip yokes should be greased like that too.

I wonder if my choice of regular black chassis grease actually helps me avoid driveshaft clunks regardless of temperature?
DocMT is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote