Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 09:48 AM

Millerad1651 is on a distinguished road

Millerad1651 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drcoffee View Post
I replaced the drivers side 2 weeks ago and hoped that the passengers side was spared. When I pulled the ABS sensor out, this is what I see.

Gear oil soaked ABS ring. Looks like both bearings and seals were shot. I bought a Toyota because I heard so many great things about how durable they are. So I buy one that looks like it was fairly well maintained for my daughters to run around in. A week later the brakes start acting up and I find myself immersed in axle seal repairs. Argh!

I hope after:
new radiator
Hoses
PS flush
LBJ
OTRE
new axle seals
rear brakes
new power antenna mast
PCV valve
spark plugs
plug wires

I can get a least a few months of use out of it.

Don't get me wrong, I like this truck and in a way bought it for me (hunting rig) because I always wanted one. I just wish it wasn't so needy for maintenance. Seems like a kit-car at this point

Okay I'm done complaining.

I hate the smell of gear oil.

Okay, now I'm done.
Think about it this way, that's the only maintenance it needs after being 10-14 yrs old. I've owned 3-5 yr old cars that needed more than that. I would not consider these items as "needy maintenance", I would considered them necessary repairs on any vehicle that old with that many miles. And after completing these repairs, you most likely won't have anything more than oil changes and occasional flushes for the rest of its life.

Millerad1651 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote