Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 10:04 AM

limamike is on a distinguished road

limamike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Hooker View Post
recommend not doing it out of the spray can. it WILL tiger stripe. get some thinner and the interior spray gun like he uses. will look tons better. i've already done my SR5's chrome bits with plastidip. looks 100% better.

Search Results | U.S. Plastic Corp.
I just did my truck yesterday and there are to "tiger stripe" issues if you apply enough coats. I was impressed with how easy it was to prep and then remove the excess (provided overspray was thick enough...). I did the SR5 logos first to test it out, and the intentional overspray pulled right up and left the SR5 logos painted. So, I went whole hog and started spraying everything else.

Here are some pictures of it in progress (and the prep work). Obviously I didn't feel like pulling and re-mounting the Gobi ladder, so I left that in place and taped over it. I had no issues getting all the angles I needed with the ladder in place.

Here is the fog light assembly after I removed the tape, but before I removed the overspray. Notice that I sprayed everything including the lens. One thing I would have done differently is oversprayed more into the cracks between the original chrome housing and the bumper because I had to pull a dental tool to scrape a lot of the thinner spray out.

You can see here that it was a bit breezy yesterday, so I had some overspray beyond the tape. This was very simple to cleanup: take a rag and rub it off! It comes off easily like dried mud in areas like this.

Here's the finished product:

Overall, the door handles were by far the easiest to prepare, paint, and clean even though I thought they would be the most difficult. Overspray is easy to pull around the edges and stray overspray is easy to wipe since it doesn't have any crevices in which to hide. I think next time I do it I will leave larger areas to pull the overspray on every facet and ensure that I paint the entire non-taped area evenly rather than focusing on the part to be painted. On the side chrome and the foglight assemblies I was most focused on painting the part itself and the overspray wasn't thick in some areas which was a pain in the ass to clean-up. I learned this lesson by the time I was ready to paint the rear emblem, so that went much more smoothly.

Lastly, I used 1.75 cans of Pasti Dip for this application spraying an average of 5 coats on each part. The spray cans are easy to use and they spray evenly for about 3/4ths of the volume of the can. Once you start getting to the bottom the spray becomes inconsistent and you need to switch to a new can. But, you can easily spray all of the chrome bits on a 5th Gen using two cans.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
limamike is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote