Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 08:30 AM

Ross is on a distinguished road

Ross is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWrench View Post
I got my information directly from the Toyota oem owners manual that came with my '03 V6 4Runner. The following is a direct quote from page 264, upper right corner, under the heading "HITCHES"

"Use only weight carrying hitch hardware designed for the total trailer weight with the factory installed hitch." I added the color highlighting to emphasize the area in question.

Just because the Toyota dealer personnel aren't aware of the issue, doesn't mean it isn't valid. I have found quite often, over the years, that some dealership employees are less knowledgable about the vehicles they sell than many of the enthusiasts that frequent this forum. I have done my best to explain the reason why a weight distribution system is not a good idea with the factory V6 receiver hitch that is mounted to the rear crossmember. It is up to you to decide what you do with your vehicle.
There must be multiple manuals. On page 264 the manual I am looking at talks about cup holders and bottle holders. I wonder if they have different info about towing. I will the one I have when Iget home.

Here is what I find in the owner’s manual I find on the net, pg 307:

If towing a trailer and cargo overweighing over 967kg (2000 lb.) it is necessary to use a sway control device with sufficient capacity. The combination the gross weight of the vehicles, occupants and vehicle cargo must never exceed a total of the following:
For weight carrying hitch
1GR-FE engine
4354 (9600 lbs)
To also mentions the other motors.

But then I read this on page 309:
"Do not install weight distributing hitch to weight carrying hitch receiver because it will be damaged your vehicle" (this is a quote don't blame me for the grammar.

I guess that makes it clear, NO weight distributing hitch, I was wrong. I guess I will look for a sway control device.

Last edited by Ross; 06-04-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Ross is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote