Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 02:55 AM

jdlarsen is on a distinguished road

jdlarsen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanderFish View Post
So I test drove a 97 last night and after driving, it made a weird noise from the box that I highlighted. can someone tell me what this box is? is this noise normal? why does it make that noise?
That is your charcoal canister (or evap canister).

Look at this post here:
Where is charcoal canister location on 1998 4runner?

I got the noise to stop when I replaced all the hoses coming out of it. I can't tell you which hose was the culprit, I just went to Carquest and bought a whole bunch of that hose, cut it all to the right lengths and replaced away. Noise gone. Yay.

Somewhere on these forums is a thread about removing/bypassing these things but I'm too tired to look tonight.

Oh, and for what it's worth, don't let that noise deter you from a purchasing decision, cause I lived with that noise for literally 2 years before finally doing something about it.
Sold (and missed) '97 4Runner SR5: 3" front (Tundra TRD Bilstein/1" spacer), 4.25" rear (8-wrap LC's/ProComp ES9000), e-locker with 12Voltguy wiring harness/switch, 4.56 gears, Duratrac 285/70R17, Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, Sonoran panhard, Hayden 678 tranny cooler, etc. It was my dream rig.
jdlarsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote