Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 11:18 PM

Qjake is on a distinguished road

Qjake is on a distinguished road
CB installed

So I've been using a hand held CB for wheeling trips and to say that the thing sucks would be an understatement. Even with the stubby mag mount antenna it came with the range is only 3/4 to maybe 1 mile, add some trees and a hill or two and...well it sucks worse. So time for a new one.

Got the Cobra 75 WXST, seems pretty popular with the offroad crowd and I haven't seem many complaints so the choice was easy.

Mounted a 4' Firestik II on the rear hatch using a Comet RS720 mount and a medium duty spring

Ran the wire up to the top of the hatch using plastic cable clips and stainless screws with a little silicon in each hole.

Fished the wire down the rear pillar then forward behind the interior panel and down into the rocker panel wiring trough. This is where I ran into a slight issue, I was short and was only at the right side kick panel. 18 feet doesn't go far these days Thankfully Cobra makes a 4' mic extension for the 75 WXST so I ordered that but won't have it till next week. So I mounted the remote box behind the kick panel which made finding a power source quite easy and for now just have the mic slung over the steering column

When I get the extension I'll run it up under the dash and over to the console where i'll find a more permanent home for it so stay tuned for those pics

Tomorrow I'm off to the local CB guy to have him tune the antenna.

2011 Limited MGM......My Build
Qjake is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote