Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 10:00 PM

The4kbeast is on a distinguished road

The4kbeast is on a distinguished road
Details on my 4Runner purchase
So after 9 to 10 months of watching craigslist, auto trader, this site, yahoo autos, aol autos, etc, I felt that I had a good idea of what pricing was like. I had test drove and crawled under enough 4Runners to know what seals leaked, what spots rusted and showed off-road abuse the easiest. Some of the 4Runners I test drove were low mileage queens, while others were high-mileage sand rats.

After thoroughly reading the buyers guide, I knew I wanted a 99-00 SR5 Highlander or Limited with a rear locker in silver. That way the fender flares matched, and I wouldn't have to deal with two-tone paint. Later I realized that it wasn't that big of a deal, and that I would have been happy with a few other color combinations, but this was #1 on my list. I got lucky and crashed the previous owner's kids birthday party to be first to see the car, and after assessing everything it needed, here's what I bought for right around $6k:

What did I buy? What kind of shape was it in?
It had some paint blemishes and had been resprayed, but the repairs were made to the original panels and the damage was minimal.

It has 207k miles that were put on it by the original owner. He had service done at a few local Toyota dealers and had copies of all work done. A few years back, he switched over to a local mechanic (unfortunately) and that's when he stopped keeping his receipts. He gave me the guy's phone number to see if I could get copies, but I doubt he'll fill me in on what's been done lately.

So far, I've replaced the valve cover gaskets, shocks (200k mi on them!), and a new radio antenna. So far, I've changed the oil and removed the underbody engine/trans covers for detailing. I know this sounds anal, but what I love about buying from private parties is that they usually don't detail the underhood/powertrain. This allows you to check for leaks etc and see where new oil is coming in from. Looks like there was something that went on with the radiator (not milkshake, just like splashes), as well as a lot of spilled oil after oil changes. Speaking of oil changes, for gosh-sakes people, buy Toyota oil filters!! It is an anti-drainback valve and doesn't dump oil down the block when you're changing the filter. Not only did the previous owner totally overtighten their last oil filter, but they also made a mess on their block/drivetrain/skids.

It also included the monroney label, and here's all the information off of it:
Model Description: 4RUNNER SR5 4X4
Exterior color: MILLENNIUM SILVER (01C0)
Transmission type: AUTOMATIC
Interior color: GRAY (FB16)
Engine type: 5VZ 3.4L V6

ADDITIONAL VEHICLE DETAILS:
Plant of Manufacture: TMC, Japan
Body Style: SR5 4X4 with Highlander Edition Package

Base MSRP: $28,358.00
Sub-total before discount: $34,665.00
- EVP MSRP Discount -900.00
Original MSRP: $33,765.00

Standard Installed Equipment (on left side of monroney label)
MECHANICAL & PERFORMANCE
  • 3.4L V6 DOHC EFI ENGINE
  • 4-SPEED AUTOMATIC ECT TRANS
  • 2-SPEED TRANSFER CASE/4WDEMAND
  • COIL SPRING DOUBLE WISHBONE
  • INDEPENDENT FRONT SUSPENSION
  • 4-LINK COIL SPRING RR SUSPEN
  • PWR-ASSIST RACK & PIN STEERNG
  • POWER STEERING/TACHOMETER
  • PWR-ASSIST VENTED FRT DISC
  • BRAKES W/RR DRUMS
  • FRONT & REAR STABILIZER BARS
  • P225/75R15 RADIAL TIRES (5)
SAFETY
  • DRIVER/PASSENGER AIR BAG (SRS)
  • 4-WHEEL ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM
  • DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS
  • SIDE-DOOR IMPACT BEAMS
  • CENTER HIGH-MOUNT STOP LAMP
COMFORT & CONVENIENCE
  • FRONT CLOTH-FACED BUCKET SEATS
  • SPLIT FOLDING FABRIC REAR SEAT
  • DLX ETR/CST/CD W/ 4SPKRS
  • PWR DOOR LOCKS & PWR RR WNDOW
  • LIGHTING PACKAGE/TILT WHEEL
  • DUAL FRONT & REAR CUPHOLDERS
  • FR VARIBL INT & RR INT WIPERS
  • ALL WEATHER GUARD EQUIP PKG
  • TACH/TRIP/COOLANT TEMP GAUGES
  • CENTER CONSOLE/DIGITAL CLOCK
  • REMOTE HOOD/FUEL DOOR RELEASES
  • DUAL SUNVISORS W/PASS VANITY
  • MIRROR/FRONT MAPLIGHTS
  • CRUISE CONTROL, O/H CONSOLE
EXTERIOR
  • CHROME FR & RR BUMPERS/GRILLE
  • DUAL COLOR-KEYED POWER HEATED
  • OUTSIDE MIRRORS
  • MULTI-REFLEC HALOGN HEADLAMPS
  • SPRING BACK ANTENNA
  • 15X7" STYLED STEEL WHEELS
  • SKID PLATES/PRIVACY GLASS
  • REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER

[FACTORY OPT CODE]Port/Factory Installed Equipment (on right side of monroney label):
  • [CA] CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS {Factory}
  • [RH] REAR HEATER {Factory} $170.00
  • [SX] SPORT PACKAGE W/LOCKING DIFF: [AL] 16x7 ALLOY WHEELS, P265/70/R16 TIRES, FOGLAMPS, COLOR KEYED BUMPERS/GRILLE/OVERFENDERS, HOOD SCOOP, FRONT SPORT SEATS 2/4 WAY ADJ, HEADRESTS, 13" FRT DISC BRAKES, 4.300 LOCKING DIFF, LTHR COVERD STRG WHEEL {Factory} $1,965.00
  • [SR] POWER TILT/SLIDE MOONROOF {Factory} $815
  • [GI] UPGRADE VALUE PACKAGE #2: PWR WINDOWS, DR SUNVISOR W/ HOLDER, PASS SUNVISOR W/ ILLUM, K/E BACK WNDW REMOTE, CFC-FREE A/C, RR TONNEAU CVR, PREM ETR/CASS/CD W/6SPKRS & PWR DIVERS ANT, FLOOR MATS {Factory} $2,198.00
  • [C7] CONVENIENCE PACKAGE INCLUDES: ROOF RACK,TOW HITCH, RR WIND DEFLECTOR & CARGO MAT {Port} $679.00
  • [CF] CARPET FLOOR MATS {Port} $0.00 (unlisted)
  • [GF] FULL TANK OF GAS {Dealer} Complimentary

2000 4Runner SR5 Highlander Edition
200k mi Member <Crazy-detailed Build Thread>
Others: 2013 Prius Plus | 1983 Toyota Starlet

Last edited by The4kbeast; 12-27-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Added MSRP and Optional Equipment pricing and package information
The4kbeast is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote