Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-22-2005, 08:15 PM

ToolmanJohn is on a distinguished road

ToolmanJohn is on a distinguished road
Same torque method

Quote:
Originally posted by kimboy
Thanks for starting the thread toolman. I picked up 6 Denso K20HR - u11 or toyota part no. 90919-1235 at the dealer today. for under 15 bucks and bought a little gaping 'coin' at pepboys, just to make sure eveything was kosher.

I noticed the passanger bank will be easy to access, and, I will be changing my plugs later this week.

I'm glad you were able to make it a DIY project. My dealer wanted 160 for the service. I was like, ' No way dude '

Also, how did you measure how tight the plugs went in? I usually hand tighten then give 1/2 turn on the socket. Not too much, not to less... but, thats my meathod (dont own a torque wrench).

Did you happen to use the silver thermal grease? I believe using it will help on your next removal.
I used the same method to tighten. It was actually written on the side of each plug box. Hand tighten , then use a wrench to turn a further 1/2 to 2/3 to tighten fully. The plug threads are actually plated to prevent corrosion, which could be a problem in an aluminum head. The original plugs came out easily enough with a wrench, I'm confident the new plugs will come out as easily at 60K. If not, then next time I will use the thermal grease. My next DIY project is replacing the coolant. The stealership wants $90... No way.. $20 for two gallons of Dexcool , and I do it myself in a an hour or so.

4 out of 5 dentists recommend Trident to their patients who chew gum, the 5th dentist recommends chewing a cup of pure cane sugar before bedtime. Don't go to that dentist!!!
ToolmanJohn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote