Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-24-2003, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

peter78 is on a distinguished road
Super Moderator

peter78 is on a distinguished road
Neech,

Most modern cars ask for 7,500 miles for oil changes and 5,000 for high stress driving, such as towing. Also, Toyota does not recommend changing oil early to help in break in. My 2001 says 7,500 miles or 5,000 miles for oil changes.

Some reasons for the high mileage is better oil and better engines and I think one more reason is to reduce maintaince cost. At least on paper. The question is "what is best for me?". My reasons for changing oil often, is engine work harder for more power, cars are very expensive. I keep cars for ever, (see my post on what we drive besides a 4Runner and you will see a picture of my 180,000 second car), so I believe in changing oil early.

Now about changing oil early in the break-in, sure it isn't required, but I believe it is a good idea.

So, bottom line, some people say go a long time with good oil and some say go shorter. Decide what is best for your situation and your peace of mind.

I belive a lot of experts are now recommending 5,000 miles as a good compromise, i.e. Consumer Reports, Tom and Ray of Cartalk.

For me, I go with 3,000 mile oil change and now 5,000 mile oil change with synthetic oil. I also go 1,500 or so for the first oil change.

Decide what to do and try and stick with it. ;)

Last edited by peter78; 02-25-2003 at 02:31 PM.
peter78 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote