Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 09:47 PM

Pennywise is on a distinguished road

Pennywise is on a distinguished road
I know that this thread is a little outdated, especially with the 06 LED lights now on the market. However, I figured that I would fill you in with my experience trying to convert the filament bulb to led using the standard 03-05 taillights.

I picked up a set of cheap tails (thanks rmischle), and I tried the oven method to remove the lens from the housing. I know that a few people, including cdoyle, said it couldn't be done. Well this just gave me more motivation to prove them wrong!

I put it into the over at 200 for about 5 minutes, took it out and the lens isn't budging. I bumped the temperature up a little and tried it again. Nothing. Bumped it up a litte more. It started to come apart, I kept repeating this getting it to come off a little more each time. About 30 minutes after I started, I thought something wasn't quite right. I put the housing on the stove and stepped back. Sure enough the whole lens was deformed.

Game over.

The whole housing started melting and deformed from me pulling on the lens. It isn't a real big deal, since I bought the lights just for experimental purposes, but it still makes me mad that I destroyed a perfectly good light. I guess I'll try to make some money back and ebay the other one. Then take the plunge and buy the 06 LED tails.

Instead of just tossing the deformed light, I decided to take it apart the easy way, a hammer. I broke the lens off the housing. The interesting thing here is that the lens is actually tinted to be pinkish. It isn't a pink spray paint or coating, the plastic was actually tinted to be pink. Part of this experiment was to see if I could clear the lenses by removing the pink tint, but that would be a no-go as well.
The housings were a nice ruby red color and it is a shame that it is hidden behing this goofy pink tinted plastic.

For those who were curious or those of you who like reading about other people's mishaps, this one was for you.

Tom
Pennywise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote