Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 01:23 PM

mortey is on a distinguished road

mortey is on a distinguished road
4Runner with 100k miles long term purchase?

Hello all,

Firstly, I would like to state that I have done months of research on my car purchase and looked at these forums as well looking to see if a car, any car, over 100k miles is an ok purchase. The general consensus is that as long as the car has been well taken care of and your mechanic oks it, it will last 200k+ miles. My question though is more of the everyday stuff that could go wrong.

I am looking at a 4Runner between 2003 & 2006 with around 100k miles. I plan on keeping this car at least until 200k miles and while I am not at all worried about the engine, I am worried about everyday stuff that could go wrong such as: insulation around doors, seats wear and tear, odd squeaks and rattles, radio going out, lift gate not working, and other things of that nature. The reason I am asking this is because I recently saw Edmunds long term test of a 1996 Lexus ES 300 and it broke down twice and spent $3,000 on repairs in just a year. The car had 130,000 miles. While I know it is not an apples to apples comparison, it did get me thinking about it.

So do you think it is an ok purchase? Have you had experience of these things breaking down on you? How much $ a year do you usually spend on your 4runner?

Thanks so much!
mortey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote