Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 09:15 PM

zacattack20 will become famous soon enough

zacattack20 will become famous soon enough
Since the engine bay wasnt painted, it was bothering me everytime I would see the red when I opened the hood. I removed most of what I could and taped off the rest and used high temp black spray paint and painted the engine bay myself. Came out fairly good and you can no longer see any red in the engine bay. I also added a Tru-Cool transmission cooler.

Since I had most of my interior torn apart I figured I would add some sound deadening material and start converting my interior to black starting with the headliner and the carpet. For the sound deadening I bought the roofing material Peel N Seal from Lowes for like $15 a roll. I ended up buying probably more than 20 rolls and did everywhere possible, the floor, all the doors, the roof. I also bought the insulation foam spray that expands when it dries to fill in cracks and spots and I couldnt get to with the roofing material. You have to be really careful with that stuff because if you spray to much it will bend and deform parts of your body. I then redid the headliner myself with black headliner material I bought from Joann fabrics for like $40. I used Permatex headliner glue that I purchased from autozone. Its been 2 years and is still holding up strong.

I purchased the carpet from stockinteriors.com. They sell on ebay at different prices due to shipping differences, but I found it to be cheaper to buy through their site directly. I upgraded to the carpet with massbacking for $100, just adds another layer of sound deadening. I got the front passenger area, rear cargo area and wheel wells, and floor mats in black with mass backing for around $475. It comes pre-molded to the floor, the only thing you have to do is trim the excess carpet on the sides to fit and cut the holes for the seat bolts and all of that. You pretty much lay the old carpet on top and trace around it and then trim the carpet. The thing that made that hard was cutting through the massbacking for the seat holes. The cargo area was harder. Since the carpet attaches to the back of the seats, you have to remove the carpet from the "wood" pieces that clip into the seat and then staple the new carpet back on. Which was also made more difficult by the massbacking on the new carpet.

'98 SR5 Converted to '01-'02 Sport Edition
Matte Blue Vinyl Wrap - Black Interior - Too Many Mods
Build Thread
Instagram: 98trd4r

Last edited by zacattack20; 10-05-2021 at 01:00 PM.
zacattack20 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote