Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 10:16 PM

kwbooth is on a distinguished road

kwbooth is on a distinguished road
3rd Gen Center AC Vent Fix - $0.92 and tax

Good day all,

I have owned my 1996 SR5 for 4 days now and already found a home at T4R.org for finding out about my "new to me" 4Runner. So far, So good, So fun.

I was looking for a fix to the floppy ac vents and for less than the $30+ that Toyota wants for a them, each or hunting them in the scrap yard. My solution is below and hope it helps someone out and I apologize if it has been done and I didn't find the post before.

I have more pictures of the process but see that I have only 8 max uploads. I put the ones that I hope help illustrate what I did. If you need more process shots, PM me.

I picked up my parts at Lowes in the hardware section in the drawers with specialty fasteners. I picked up 2 packages of Nylon Anchor Nuts for #6 & #8 screws, just in case I messed up one, at 92 cents a package. They come in packages of 2. So technically it cost me $1.84 and tax.

They fit right into the square opening on the ac vent. They don't snap in but do fit nicely into the square cut out and I used glue to hold them in.

I needed to drill the hole a bit bigger. I used a 3/16th inch drill bit and after drilling it straight I had to wallow it out a bit more for a good fit. I held the nylon nut with pliers so as to keep the prongs from spreading out and distorting the nut. Take it slow when drilling or the nylon will just bend out of shape.

Once I had the hole the size I wanted, I test fit it.

Next, in order to not lose any or very little vent directional positioning, I snipped the prongs down to my liking.

I glued the nut in place and added a spot of black paint for aesthetics. In my picture though it is white.

Let it dry or cure and carefully install. It was a bit snug to get it into the pegs as I guess the original square inserts were more flush. But once it was in, the floppy vent issue was no more.

Hope you enjoy.
Ken
1996 SR5 2WD Auto
Attached Images
3rd Gen Center AC Vent Fix - alt=  3rd Gen Center AC Vent Fix - alt=  3rd Gen Center AC Vent Fix - alt=  3rd Gen Center AC Vent Fix - alt=  3rd Gen Center AC Vent Fix - alt=  3rd Gen Center AC Vent Fix - alt=  3rd Gen Center AC Vent Fix - alt=  3rd Gen Center AC Vent Fix - alt= 

Last edited by kwbooth; 07-17-2013 at 11:22 PM.
kwbooth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote