Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 01:59 PM

zacattack20 will become famous soon enough

zacattack20 will become famous soon enough
I have the viper 5701 alarm and remote start. Its pretty much the same alarm as the even more expensive ones just with a different remote. It had this smaller remote instead of the ones with a screen, which is the reason I liked this one better, because the remote was smaller.

Too bad the remote is a piece of crap. Its all beat up, I only keep the remote with the car key and no other keys. The batteries would die so quickly and like $7 at a time to replace them. Even after replacing them, it would play its little song to tell me that the batteries were low because the case was loose on the remote. I dropped it once in my apartment and the whole thing just exploded into a bunch of pieces and then it no longer would make any sounds.

I decided to get a new remote and get one of the better ones with the screen because it has a rechargeable battery. I plan on keeping it completely separate from my keys so it doesn't get all scratched up and I have some things waiting to be delivered to add a push start button and completely get rid of the key.

I was going to get the 7351v remote because their website says that's compatible with the 5701 system. Good thing I did some research into it before I bought it. My system was manufactured in 2009 and the 7351v remote would only work on systems manufactured after April of 2010. I couldn't find anyone online that had come up with a definite way for it to work. Some people said you had to change the antenna, and for some that worked and for others that didn't. The only thing for sure was to replace with a completely different antenna, a 6711T antenna and use the 7752v remote. The difference in the remote is that it has a longer range and its supposed to be more expensive, but the remote was the same price on eBay. Since I had to replace the antenna with whichever remote I got, it didn't end up being any extra getting the better remote. I got the remote for $80 and the antenna for $45, which was still more than I paid for my whole system to begin with.

As for the antenna, I think it looks disgusting on the dash or the windshield, so I had installed it in the roof, behind the rearview mirror assembly. The range isn't as good being there, but it still works from plenty far. I didn't have to replace the antenna wire to the alarm brain, just unplugged the old antenna and plugged in the new one.

It looks like a mess of wires but those are for the ambient LEDs. I had to cut the little piece of the roof to get the antenna in and out. I just bend it back and put some tape over it so it doesn't cut anything.

New antenna hanging down

'98 SR5 Converted to '01-'02 Sport Edition
Matte Blue Vinyl Wrap - Black Interior - Too Many Mods
Build Thread
Instagram: 98trd4r

Last edited by zacattack20; 10-05-2021 at 02:18 PM.
zacattack20 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote