Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 08:27 PM

beefyjw is on a distinguished road

beefyjw is on a distinguished road
My experience

I run a 1991 V6 Pickup with the 7.5" IFS. I have a 3" lift with 33"x12.5" tires. I am very much not nice to it....i do consider myself a good driver.

The truck used to have a Detroit limited slip/aussie locker in front. With this set up it sucessfully snapped a front axle shaft, ruined the limited slip, and setup the manual locking hubs (converted from auto hubs) for the next failure. I felt like the limited slip was a bad idea. I would be in a situation with one tire spinning, then everything would catch really quick, and it caused a lot of bouncing and ultimately i blamed it for snapping the front axle.

I have since put a spartan full locker in the front and repaired everything. I have torn off the manual hubs on both sides twice (sheared off 6 stock bolts and the 2 studs) from the wheel plate. read-V6 has a lot of power. I have since replaced the wheel plates and installed new aisin manual hubs using ARP high-strength bolts and added 4 pins each (6 bolts + 6 pins each). That should solve the problem with 33's. I've also broken my idler arm from the steering while driving quickly over moderately rough hill terrain.

Interesting note... I've broken a lot of stuff, but never a cv joint, never a tie rod.

Advice...
1) Locking the front puts really serious stress on the IFS. It's great traction, but you better be willing to beef up your rig, or fix stuff.
2) When i can afford it i am still planning on installing high strength CV/axles in the front
3) I don't plan on running bigger than 35's
4) Drive slow, smart, and careful. It's a different rig. When you are open diff, you have to keep your momentum and sometimes brute force your way through, or gas it and pray...once your locked, this is a very bad idea. Take everything slow, think about what your truck is doing, and find your way through intelligently. If your locker meets full traction on a big rock and just doesn't move forward, don't keep trying. Don't apply all your power.
5) Get low gearing (crawler or 4.7). Even though it will increase the power you apply to the parts, it will help you drive slower and smoother and therefore break stuff less.

Last edited by beefyjw; 09-05-2013 at 08:29 PM.
beefyjw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote