Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 01:19 PM

EatonKyleH will become famous soon enough

EatonKyleH will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX4Running View Post
EatonKyle,
What OBDII scanner would you recommend? I've been looking at Actrons and Innovas but find negative reviews for everything. Is it possible to use a scanner to force specific valves open and closed to prove if one is the problem?

Also, as for a diagnostic test at the dealer, will they tell me the exact part that is the problem for a relatively low cost ~$70? I've read plenty of posts on here where the dealers are throwing darts at the board hoping one will eventually be the fix.
Thanks.
Honestly most generic scan tools fall pretty flat when it comes to bidirectional controls (being able to command specific components on/off with the scan tool). Most of the more capable generic tools (all makes/models) I use are extremely expensive... such as the Snap-on Verus, Solus, and so on.

I'd recommend going straight for the Toyota TIS Techstream. It is the dealer/Toyota specific OE scan tool and is PC based. Rarely can you get dealer diagnostic equipment at a reasonable price but the TIS has seemed to be an exception. Look it up on Ebay. It's the software on CD and a specific USB to OBDII connector. If you need help with it, it's a pretty popular topic over in the 5th gen section.

A dealer or reputable independent shop should be able to diagnose it for you and hit the nail on the head the first time. Expect to pay 80-100+ for diagnostic charges. If you pay them to diagnose it I'd recommend also paying them the whole way...for parts and labor as well. This way if it does not solve your issue the first time you have a better platform to argue that they were wrong and should work with you. Providing your own junk yard or aftermarket part to them or repairing it yourself after they diagnosed it leaves room for a ton of excuses on their end if your codes were to return.

Good luck and hope this info helps!