Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 05:43 PM

nevada has a spectacular aura about nevada has a spectacular aura about nevada has a spectacular aura about

nevada has a spectacular aura about nevada has a spectacular aura about nevada has a spectacular aura about
ok lets see...

I wheeled like that for a long time.
somewhere in there I added an air tank, and converted a AC pump to be used as an air compressor.
I bobbed the bed, and built some bumpers. bought a milemarker 8k winch when they first came out. man, was that thing SLOW!
but, it never stopped pulling. I used the SHIT out of that thing. it paid for itself the FIRST trip out.

I just looked, its so old, I cant even find a pic online. lol.

i had an old motor we pulled from our farm truck. a 1968 ford 302. it was sitting in the corner of my shop just calling to me. it sat around for about 10 years, as i slowly collected the parts i needed to swap it in. i didn't have much of a budget, so it was difficult.

on a wheeling trip, my water pump started making some noise. i checked, it was loose, the pulley was just flopping, but not leaking...
the other guy i was with over revved his engine and locked it up...great.

so i had to tow him off the trail, and home. we were about 35 miles away. mind you my WP is basically gone..

about 10 miles into the trip home it blows, and sprays coolant across the windshield. we did an emergency stop to the shoulder, since i couldn't really see where i was going...

as luck would have it, i was towing another Toyota. we busted out some tools, we also had to flag some people down(other wheelers that were in the area) and borrow a 10mm wrench, and swapped water pumps right there on the side of the highway. in fact, i think. refilled it with water from the creek and finished the trip home without any more problems.

but, that was the last trip with the 4cylinder. bad waterpump? that's a good enough reason to swap in a v8 right? lol. got the motor put in, and dealt with all that it entails. after a bit of "tuning" and adjusting it was working pretty good.

after a year or so, the 36's weren't big enough, I sold them, and picked up a used set of 38.50x14.50 SX's. nice and WIDE, perfect for how I like to wheel. DEEP snow.

i ended up getting 2 sets of wheels custom made, just basic steel black D window. the first set was for the 36"s, they were 8" wide, with a 2.5" backspace.
then i ordered some 10" wide, with 3" back space for the 38's.

sorry for the lack of pics...i'll be surprised if you're still reading lol.
nevada is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote