Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 06:42 PM

Martinjmpr will become famous soon enough

Martinjmpr will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03_4x4Runner View Post
I wish someone in the aftermarket would make a mechanical linkage kit to do away with the electrical actuator. You are right there are a lot of threads on actuator not working and actuator oil leaks. It is only going to get worse as the 4runners get older. I hope the 5th gens have been redesigned to correct the problem but when I look at them they look the same.

Although in practical terms, I don't know how difficult it would be to actually create such a kit. Over on the Ford Ranger forums where I sometimes post (my DD is a 96 Mazda B2300 which is a Ranger) I see similar complaints about the electronic T-case, and somebody has come up with a "manual" solution.

The problem with it is that it requires you to

(a) stop the vehicle
(b) Get out
(c) reach under the vehicle with a socket
(d) turn a bolt 270 degrees or so and then
(e) get back into your vehicle and drive.

And you have to do this every time you want to go from 2wd to 4wd and back.

I seem to recall that somebody made a system for (I think) Chevy/GMC vehicles with vacuum or electric 4wd control that used a pair of cables, basically one to engage and one to disengage. This would have been back in the late 90's.