Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 01:30 PM

Golfinz is on a distinguished road

Golfinz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonmd View Post
You missed my point... If there was something wrong with your wheels, like they were bent or otherwise damaged, then yes, replacing the wheel would fix it. They way you phrased it makes it sound like there is some defect in the stock wheels that makes them unbalanced, so other people should just replace their crappy stock wheels for better ones, and their vibration will go away (obviously assuming it isn't a u-joint or rotors), which isn't true and is why I said that isn't a solution.

Taking u-joints and rotors out of the equation, I am not sure what the "highway shimmy/shake vibration that many 3rd gens are prone too...." is. It seems to me that most of the time it's either brakes, driveshaft, or unbalanced tires (or occasionally the pinion bearing). This is the first time I have heard of the wheels themselves taking the blame.

When you replaced the wheels, did you move the same tires over to the FJ wheels, or are you now running new wheels AND tires. If you're running new wheels and tires, then you haven't eliminated poor balancing as a cause. NTB may say they're balanced, but they also said my steering was aligned, when my steering wheel has to be turned 20° to go straight.
I am merely providing another avenue to explore. All parts on my rig looked great and I was still left with the highway shake and it turned out to be either the wheels or tires. I did not move the 16" tires from my stockers to the 17" FJ wheel...tried but they wouldn't fit The tires on the FJ wheels were already mounted from the previous owner. He upgraded to a TRD set for his FJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
It is clear that you fixed the problem. The question is, "What was the root cause?" It could have been:
1. A bent wheel(s). In that case - good you replaced it but might not have had to buy 4.
2. A tire or tires not balanced correctly. Sounds like you let the tire folks take a couple shots at it without success.
3. A tire or tires not mounted correctly. You can end up with a wheel that takes a lot of weight at more than one location per side to balance it. Most of the guys at the tire shop just keep putting weights on the wheel until they get a green reading. I had this issue after 40,000 miles on a set of tires and Roadforce balancing helped identify the problem I removed the tire, cleaned the built up corrosion from the bead area of the rim and remounted it. The wheel balanced using very little weight and the problems was solved.

I would hate to leave folks with the impression that you have to replace all your wheels to solve this problem.....expensive.....

Buckaroo
Not sure of the root cause, but it appears mine was caused by either a wheel or tire issue. I thought I was clear enough in my OP that stated I replaced my stock wheel/tire setup with a new to me wheel tire setup from an FJ. I'm glad I spent the $500 on the FJ wheel/tire setup vs spending money trying to track down an issue with the stockers. Now I have a better looking rig, imho, along with no hwy shake. Win win

Quote:
Originally Posted by papapoopski View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but in addition to the above, couldn't these factors also give you the shimmy at highway speeds?

Worn tie rod ends
Wheel bearings
Worn lower ball joint?
No front tire
The last one made me laugh. I looked at what you listed and all appeared to be in good shape so I didn't spend money chasing those down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
In general, Poosker, you are correct....but the OP said he changed the wheels and it went away. Trying to stay focused on the facts.

Buckaroo