View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 12:51 PM

nevada has a spectacular aura about nevada has a spectacular aura about nevada has a spectacular aura about

nevada has a spectacular aura about nevada has a spectacular aura about nevada has a spectacular aura about
we went to an area, that due to the record low snow fall...we normally aren't able to get to that time of the year.

I don't have a CB in the 4runner, so I was running in the middle, following my buddy up a fairly steep, snow covered climb.
little did we know, that the snow was only 1/2" deep, on top of a layer of ice. it made for VERY slick conditions.

he struggled bit to get up the hill, hes locked front/rear. with him struggling, I knew I wasn't going to make it only being locked in the rear. I went up as far as I could. it was off-camber, and in between trees. kind of a sketchy place to stop...

he had made it to the top...then decided to back down the hill to hook up a strap, and help me up.

BAD IDEA. he came down a little ways then hit the ice. he started sliding backwards. instincts kicked in, and unfortunately he gunned it, only making him slide even faster.

I saw it happening, but there wasn't a lot I could do. I was parked at an angle, very close to a tree. I turned the wheel to the left and backed up a tiny bit, trying to get square with him, so he would hit the brush guard, and not the fender. but there wasn't enough space, or time. I didn't get over far enough.

sadly...I didn't have my gopro on.

i got a few pics from after tho.

it wasn't too bad, but remember, this was a completely STRAIGHT rig. it was a painful thing...

the headlight still worked...somehow. it was shining up into the trees, but it worked. lol

my brush guard did save me some, you can see where it dented in the back of his jeep.
also, his bumper barely missed popping my tire. the corner was up against it, but luckily there wasn't enough pressure to damage it.

we should have turned around right there(because of the ice, not the crash)...but it was early in the day, and decided to keep going.

the snow got deep on top, so no worry of ice up there. but me being open in the front, i was a huge liability, and relied on someone else to get me through the deepest/steepest stuff. it was slow going. we wheeled, and winched into the night.

some time around 10:00...i hit a tree. damnit!

i just barely hit it too. based on the rub marks, another 1/2" forward, or to the left, and it wouldn't have hit.
well...i guess its officially a wheeler now.

for those that don't know, that is a very expensive piece of glass. i was quoted $1200 just for the glass!!

luckily i found someone selling a complete top, with good glass for $40. score!
nevada is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote