Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 12:30 PM

peebee is on a distinguished road

peebee is on a distinguished road
Dealer Coolant Flushed with Wrong Coolant?

2007 4th gen, V6, 2x4

I know I could have done the coolant flush myself, so don't ask me why I took it in for such a simple task.

Uhg...

With that out of the way, I went in the day before and asked if they do a simple drain or a flush, and was told they did a flush. I also asked if they used the pink SLLC and they said yes.

So the next day I take my truck in to have it flushed. Get home and go to replace a lower headlamp that burned out, and I notice the overflow tank is now green. So I checked the receipt and saw that they used this coolant:

Antifreeze/Coolant O'Reilly 87219 - Engine Coolant/Anti-Freeze | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I looked at my owners manual and it states:
“Toyota Super Long Life Coolant” or
similar high quality ethylene glycol
based non−silicate, non−amine, non−ni-
trite, and non−borate coolant with long−
life hybrid organic acid technology.

“Toyota Super Long Life Coolant” is a
mixture of 50% coolant and 50% deion-
ized water (for the U.S.A.) or 55%
coolant and 45% deionized water (for
Canada).

If you look at the O'Reilly's coolant, it does say it is non-silicate based. But it also says it's non-phosphate too. I also doubt they used deionized (or distilled) water and probably just used tap.

Should I be worried, or should I take it back and have them use the Toyota SLLC? Is this something I should be out of pocket for because I wasn't extremely clear in my instructions? i.e. handhold them through the process of which type of coolant, how much, use deionized water instead of tap, etc.

I feel like such a dick going in and being this anal about my truck.
peebee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote