Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 11:44 AM

Banksaveli is on a distinguished road

Banksaveli is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndlaham View Post
Hi all,

I decided I'm going to buy the stalk I need to finish this mod once and for all. The part I need is described by Toyota as the "Headlamp Dimmer Switch" or sometimes I see Headlight Switch or Column Switch.

There are two part numbers that could work on my car but here is what I know and would like to share-

We already know that I need the stalk with the auto function (only on the Limited edition) and that part number is either:

84140-35170 (2010-2011 version)
84140-35171 (2012-2013 version)

They are almost the same number execept the 2010 and 2011 models use the part that ends in a "0", and the 2012, 2013 models end in a "1". What the difference is I have no idea, but I would like to know.

Well, I have a 2012 Trail edition, so in theory I will need the second number I have listed, "84140-35171".

Also just as a note of reference, the non-auto dimming switch is "8414035181" (2012-2013 verision), and the "8414035180" (2010-2011 version). So I will be removing the 84140-35181 from my car.

The one thing I would like to know before I do this, is what actually is the difference of the last digit, 35170 vs 35171 (and 35180 vs 35181). According to my research, they are simply for different years but is there actually a physical difference in the stalk? I'm hoping not, because I found a 84140-35170 from a 2010 Lexus HS250H which is the exact same as the stalk on the 2010 and 2011 4Runner Limited. But since I have a 2012, I am a little worried about buying it as that single last digit might mean it's not going to fit or something. I might just buy it because it's much much cheaper than retail prices since it came off a crashed Lexus.

But, if anyone does know the difference between the two part numbers, please tell me. They are almost identical. If someone can confirm there isn't a physical difference and perhaps it's just a different number for year model reasons or maybe for distribution reasons, I will buy it today to try this mod out once and for all. It will literally only take me the time to replace the stalk now that my sensor is installed. The sensor does work by the way, it dims the dash and my Entune system when I go into low light.

Or maybe someone can just help me find the right stalk somewhere cheap. Anyone have any junkyards nearby?

Anyone, I hope to make full progress on this in the next week.

Thanks,
Nick
Hi,

I am highly interested in doing this mod for my family's 2010 SR5. Did you end up getting it to work? If you did can you please let me know what exactly is needed to get this mod working? I believe you said the sensor is rewuired and the stalk or switch with the wire harness and that's all. Is that true?

Let me know please.
Banksaveli is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote