Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-27-2014, 05:37 PM

RAD4Runner has a spectacular aura about RAD4Runner has a spectacular aura about

RAD4Runner has a spectacular aura about RAD4Runner has a spectacular aura about
Windshield Trim Delete Final Chapter: Glass Re-Installed

Need to revise write-up because original solution failed. During original install the flap of the rubber trim was pushing against the body. I think it prevented proper sealing by the urethane. Even I if I had silicone sealant over the urethane, it still leaked.

Chrome trim is only there for looks. IT IS ACTUALLY BAD for the body. It catches and TRAPS debris and worse yet, saltwater dripping from water sports equipment.

IF you only have freshwater dripping on your windshield, the rubber gasket like on old VW Beetles may work. However, water still seeps into the interface between rubber and body metal and stays there longer than if it were openly exposed to air. For saltwater exposure...

HERE's the FINAL SOLUTION:
Safelite replaced under warranty as follows:

Removed old glass
Removed old sealant
Applied rubber trim around glass. Trim is not used to seal. It is cosmetic but helps protect the edge of glass from accidental stresses.

Notice how the corners curl up? When glass is placed on bead of urethane, that curl will push glass away from the body, UNLESS something is used to clamp glass toward the body.

I want the gap to be well-exposed to air and not hidden to allow easy cleaning, rinsing and quick drying, so I asked glass tech to CUT OFF the "wings/flap" before installing the glass. No actual pic but here's an illustration:

Installed glass as usual. Left gap so it does not TRAP debris and is easy to rinse/clean. It does not look bad. Even IF it looked ugly, I'd rather have an ugly gap than rusted body around windshield.

This is what I mean by rinsing the gap. You could not do this thoroughly if it were covered by rubber or chrome trim...
Toyota components are bullet-proof. Issues often arise from poor wiring, assembly and/or maintenance. Suspect those first.
Next only to our senses, the multi-meter is the most important electrical diagnostic tool. Spend $6 at Harbor Freight or $$$ blindly replacing parts.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 04-24-2015 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Editing For Details...
RAD4Runner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote