View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 04:04 AM

uzibear is an unknown quantity at this point

uzibear is an unknown quantity at this point
help my ford explorer

ok, so there's no explorer forum i can find, and i imagine you guys could help me out, so here goes:

i have a 94 explorer. it was my father's and was very well taken care of. now here's the problem: all of a sudden it started overheating. and once there was steam coming out of the engine on the driver's side of the hood, in the front. i opened the hood and there was a lot of steam coming out near the coolant resevoir, and i imagine it was just the coolant that was steaming.

now, i took it to one mechanic who i trust pretty well and he said: it's either a blown head gasket or a cracked cyllinder. either way it's at least a $1000 repair which is not much more than the car is worth because it's a salvage title. they didn't charge me, but i surmised it wasn't worth fixing.

i ONLY want to fix the car to sell it, i do not want to keep it in the long run

it has aboue 150k miles on it, and other than these issues, my dad has taken care of it meticulously.

then i took it to another mechanic, and paid $100 for a diagnostic. they said nothing as serious as a head gasket, but talked of various repairs to the cooling system, etc. sounded a bit fishy to me as they were saying: "well, we'd do this, and cost you a couple hundred, then maybe we'll need to do this...blah blah". so i left and am not going back, don't trust them.

now here's the thing: i'm moving back to california at the end of the month (from colorado), and i want to drive the explorer there. ideally, i wouldn't want to spend more than $500 repairing it. i can sell it in CA, i cannot sell it here as it's a rear wheel drive 2wd and no one would buy it.

so long story short: what do you think? it doesn't make any weird sounds or anything, so i'm hoping it's not as bad as a blown head gasket; my initial impression was that the coolant was simply not getting through the engine.

i know very little about cars. i'm going to take it to a third mechanic tomorrow. hopefully i can find a good one.

i have to turn the heat on, and fans all the way to keep it from overheating even accross town, a distance of maybe 10 miles. the air from the engine smells bad when i do this; perhaps coolant or maybe exhaust. i roll all the windows down but it gives me a headache.

the car has some cosmetic blems like scratches in the ceiling, but it got repainted recently. it's also missing the driver's side door handle and the driver's window is "broken". the window itself is not broken, but when i tried to roll it down on a freezing day something "broke" and the whole pane fell into the door-well. i can pull it back up.

basically i'm just weighing how much i can sell it for and how much it would cost to fix it. really the only point in all this is money. i want to sell the darn thing. it would also be useful to get me back to california, but there are other ways to do that.

thanks

Last edited by uzibear; 07-13-2006 at 04:11 AM.
uzibear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote