View Single Post
Old 10-06-2014, 02:57 PM

CAN-03runner is on a distinguished road

CAN-03runner is on a distinguished road
Lower control arm bushings or cam bolts are not tight enough. If the cam bolts were seized up and they used a torch to heat it all up so they can loosen them to do the alignment they could have melted the bushings. Or there isn't enough toque on the bolts after the alinment is done. You can't really recreate it by hand. To see some looseness, it needs to be on the lift. You stick a crow bar between the frame and where the lower control arm bolt up. It takes a lots effort. On mine I could tighten them with basic hand tools in my driveway. But the sound always came back eventually. Finally had my mechanic use an impact on the bolts. The alignment guys usually just hand tighten, and I don't think they put enough torque on it. The impact might be too much, but no noise now.

Also, look at the steering stops. The metal on metal contact sometimes gives a clunk as you turn back out. Dab a little grease on them. You might need to do it again if the noise comes back.
2003 4Runner Sport 4.7 V8 Silver/Grey - Fr/Rr ARB Locker - OME 885/895 - LR UCA - BFG KM2 255/80/17- RCI Skids - Demello Sliders - Bud Hidden Winch- Runva Winch - Synthetic oils- Trail Stripes - Two Baby Seats...

1984/86 4runner In Progress....... V6 swap - High Steer - 33" MTZ - 4.88 Gears - welded rear - ARB front - axle gaussets - Diff covers - Longfields - 4.7 crawler - Titan Winch http://www.toyota-4runner.org/classi...ner-build.html
CAN-03runner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote