Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 02:58 PM

RAD4Runner has a spectacular aura about RAD4Runner has a spectacular aura about

RAD4Runner has a spectacular aura about RAD4Runner has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidVermicious View Post
That's because you've got an IFS and automatic. Try this chore with a shock tower and a bunch of clutch crap in your way and you'll change your tune...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallytoo View Post
... the lower starter bolt also serves as the location for one of the clutch slave cylinder mounting points, and it is very difficult to get everything lined up, as it is a tight fit. you cannot access the lower bolt efficiently/readily from the access panel in a 4r equipped with the manual transmission, the tubing for the clutch cylinder prohibit that.
Hi KidV and Wallytoo...
Interesting...
I have a basic manual transmission. Yes, bracket for clutch slave cylinder shares bottom mounting bolt, but nothing gets in the way.
Could you be referring to a truck with the upgraded dual-transfer case? maybe my truck is missing something there? LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallytoo View Post
interesting that you chose to purchase a starter (somewhat spendy) rather than purchase two sets of contacts for the solenoid (much less spendy, even to purchase a pair that won't work for your solenoid). downtime would have been however long it took to replace the contacts in the solenoid. i had mine out and in in less than 4 hours.
One could not really be sure whether or not the existing starter is stock after-market, or IF OEM whether it is he original 1.0 kW (discontinued) or newer 1.4kW (which I ended up purchasing). So, not sure which solenoid contact to buy.

When I finally had the starter out here it is. it doesn't look nearly like the Denso one I got from Toyota Parts Zone, and it does not have Denso or Toyota label on it. Now I'm afraid it might not qualify for core refund. Oh well, the truck deserves good reliable parts, anyway. Good for another 200k miles, I hope - LOL!

Here's are the new and old side by side. Do you guys know if old one is Toyota/Denso from how it looks?

Also found the washer that lands on the contact pitted. I'm sure it can be polished/cleaned but IF it were too bad, it would have to be replaced. Couldn't find procedure for removing and replacing washer.
Toyota components are bullet-proof. Issues often arise from poor wiring, assembly and/or maintenance. Suspect those first.
Next only to our senses, the multi-meter is the most important electrical diagnostic tool. Spend $6 at Harbor Freight or $$$ blindly replacing parts.
RAD4Runner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote