Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 05:27 PM

shootmymime will become famous soon enough

shootmymime will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyrecluse View Post
I thought I'd enlist the experts before I make a decision.

96', 303,000 miles, engine top and bottom end rebuilt, car otherwise seems fine aside from drivers side window actuators aren't working properly; windows roll down but roll up very very slowly.

Price is under $3,000, rebuild records are available, smogged, but I'm worried that in 3 months it will need a steering column, axles, trans, etc.

I know 18 years and 303K on it means anything is possible, but realistically, how long does a decently taken care of 4runner last? What are the common issues with this type of mileage?

Thank you
my brother currently drives the 96 and it has around 310,000 on it purchased new.
a common thing with the 96 is the head gasket likes to let go. we have done 3 of them over the years via the dealer. because it has a new rebuild i would imagine your fine for another 100K miles or so.
Some things i would check with that vehicle so old is rear axle seals (easy job, generally go around 100K miles or so)
Lower ball joints, we replaced my brothers at 250K miles and i was amazed they had not self destructed yet.
if the trans drives and shifts fine you should be good. they tend to keep going.

I would check for rust with that kind of miles. rust can be a big problem on the frame rails so do plenty of poking around to make sure its all solid. surface rust is fine. but if you see any sort of hole rust on the frame i would be worried for some money to go into patching and fixing.

Other wise post pictures if you can so we can further see what there is and pick out possible problems and also the good!