View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 07:07 AM

xxaarraa is on a distinguished road

xxaarraa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by m85476585 View Post
Yes, an automotive fridge will probably retain temperatures better than a mini fridge, but depending on what you need it for it might not matter?

Automotive fridges are probably designed to run on 12V. You would need an inverter or a generator for a standard mini fridge.

I think I remember reading that standard fridges need time for the refrigerant to settle down after moving them, so they might not work well on the move. I think they get bubbles in the system that make it work less efficiently or not at all. TEC fridges are solid-state, but a friend in college had one and it basically didn't work at all, so I can't recommend one.

Automotive fridges may be designed to work in a wider range of temperatures. A fridge can only maintain a certain temperature difference between the inside and outside, depending on the amount of insulation, amount of heat dissipation area, strength of the compressor, etc. If it gets too hot in the car, a standard fridge might only get down to 50-60 degrees.

It might be worth a try if you can get a mini-fridge for cheap. It probably won't work as well as an automotive fridge, but if it did, no one would be paying $500 for them. It might be better than no fridge, especially if you can run the generator a lot, have a place to plug in, or only keep stuff that doesn't matter if it gets warm, like drinks. Or you could use it like a cooler that needs less ice when it's plugged in, if there's enough insulation.
Yeah, you are right. For this kind of compromise, I might as well just use my cooler. If I put ice in it, it holds it for up to 24 hours before ice melts, so I usually just refill the ice everyday and we are good. One day, I may get an automotive fridge, but to be honest, hot coffee in morning and being able to warm up frozen food is always more important to me while camping than freezing the food itself. Especially while winter camping up here in the north east, I just sit the cooler outside overnight and it refreezes any ice that has melted.

Here's a couple of pics from a most recent trip up to Maine.

This will no longer be necessary due to addition of Keurig!

This should no longer be necessary due to addition of microwave!

GONE - 08 T4R - 4" Lift with OME 885/895 & Bilstein 5100s, Toytec top-out spacer, Daystar 2" spacer, 1.5" Body Lift, 275x65x20 Duratracs (34.1"), Light Racing UCAs, Spidertrax, Toytec Diff Drop, 5th gen brake upgrade, SS brake lines, Budbuilt 5 piece skid kit, CBI sliders, Avid light bar, Hella 500ff with HID conversion, Curt front hitch receiver, ARB Awning, Uniden/Comet CB, Rostra seat heaters, Dynamatted interior

Corvette C7 Z51 | Ford Raptor | Aprilia RS250 | Aprilia RSV4 | Ducati 848 Corse
xxaarraa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote