Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-14-2015, 11:52 PM

absalom has a spectacular aura about absalom has a spectacular aura about

absalom has a spectacular aura about absalom has a spectacular aura about
Absalom's Build Thread #2 - Revenge of the Oil Burners

Well, I'm back in the saddle again and it feels fantastic. After selling the last 4runner to get a client hauler, I've longed for the day that I'd own another 3rd gen.

The past few years have brought about some amazing life changes:

(My wife, son, and I in Tempe)

(A few sordid affairs with two German barnstormers)

She's a 2002 4x4 SR5 Sport Edition with mandatory sunroof in glorious Thundercloud Metallic. Over 242,000 miles, all service records from a single owner. Runs like a top with no mechanical issues at all!

Now, most buyers would be put off by the mileage but it allowed me to pick up this beauty for 1/2 what I sold my last truck for. Plus, the engine and tranny are being pulled almost immediately to make way for the swap!

This truck will be a tribute to my sorely missed 2000 in Desert Dune. Similar lift, armor, interior mods, etc. Except everything will be cranked to 11! 35's, more power, bigger brakes, better suspension, better lockers and much more! Part DD/part expedition hauler, this thing will be able to do it all. I learned a LOT (thanks in part to the amazing folks on this forum) with my last build, and this build will reflect that.

(How she looked the day we picked her up)

The mileage is hardly a concern as I'll be swapping out the 5VZ for a diesel! Specifically a BEW TDI from a 2004-2006 Jetta/Golf. I'll also be replacing the auto with a R150F via an ACME adapter.

From the factory, the TDI puts out a gentle 100hp/177 ft lbs. However, with the help of some very talented folks on the TDIclub forum, this motor will eventually put out no less than 200 hp and 385 ft lbs of tree stump yankin' torque. All while hopefully netting between 25-35 mpg's, and being amazingly reliable. As we plan to move to Colorado in the near future, having a turbo will negate altitude power losses.

(A much cleaner version of what I'll be installing!)

Now, the truck currently rides like a tank, in the firmest way possible. A spacer lift up front and some SkyJacker springs out back make driving a chore. The BFG A/T's are completely unbalanced and the steering is seeing lots of slop. I applaud the PO for being able to tolerate driving the truck like this for so long, he's a brave man.

Build Strategy

Stage 1 - DONE! (Post #40)
  • TRD Coils YY/YB
  • Bilstein 5100's
  • LC 8 Wraps
  • Monroe Sens-a-Tracs
  • Light Racing Adjustable UCA's
  • All New Steering Components
  • 4x Innovations Sliders w/ Kickout
  • Tundra Brake Conversion

Stage 2
  • BEW TDI Motor
  • R150F Transmission
  • PD150 Injectors
  • PD150 Intake
  • Rocketchip Tune Stage 4
  • Southbend Clutch
  • GTB1749VB Turbo

Stage 3
  • Level 8 Strike 6 wheels - 16" x 8.5"
  • 285 75 16 Treadwright Guard Dogs - Load D
  • DDM 3" 50w Projectors w/ 4300k bulbs
  • Spidertrax Spacers
  • King 2.5" Coilovers/shocks

Stage 4
  • Engo 9,000 lb Winch
  • 4x Innovations F&R Bumper
  • Complete Sound Deadening Overhaul
  • Retractable LED Light Bar w/ XM-L2 & MT-G2 emitter swaps
  • OBA w/ York A/C Compressor
  • Burtman Industries Euro Wing
  • King 2.5" Coilovers/shocks
  • VHF Radio/Whip
  • Much, Much More!

I've got an entire pallet of new front end steering components on the way from Rock Auto. I'm also on the hunt for a set of TRD YY/YB coils (the Eibach's on my 2000 were very firm) as well as 8 wraps for the rear. I'll also be doing a UCA swap asap.

I've got very big plans for this truck and I can't wait to show you folks everything along the way. Also, FWIW if anyone in Phoenix/Scottsdale ever needs help wrenching, I'd be more than happy to lend a hand!

Last edited by absalom; 05-05-2015 at 03:40 AM.
absalom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote