Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 12:49 AM

4alarm is an unknown quantity at this point

4alarm is an unknown quantity at this point
Had a little time today. I started by using the blue painters masking tape to tape off the entire area. Then I used some aluminum foil for added protection. Then I cut some fiberglass mat into different size squares and rectangles, and mixed up the resin. I worked in small sections painting on some resin, adding fiberglass, then saturating the fiberglass. I got one good layer down before the wife yelled at me to come back inside to help with the kids.

Fiberglass is some nasty $h!T!! I found that you have to work REALLY quickly in the Arizona heat. I lost a 1/4 of a batch (8oz) of resin I made cause it geled up while I was working on it (first batch). The next few batches I made 4oz batches and used less hardener. Went through 3 paint brushes and 5 mixing bowls.

After about 2 hours of letting it set, I peeled up the tape on the sides and worked my hands behind it to get it out of the truck. Then I spent another 30 minutes trying to get all the tape/foil from off of the back of the form.

I guess it came out well for my first attempt. There are some spots that bulged out making some pointy spots where it should be fairly smooth. I'll hit it with the sander to nock down the big spots before I add more layers.

Before:

All taped up:

A little foil:
'05 Tacoma TuRD
4alarm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote