Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 08:16 PM

mo_mo has a spectacular aura about mo_mo has a spectacular aura about

mo_mo has a spectacular aura about mo_mo has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiles_s View Post
OK, just installed it on my 2015 Trail Premium.

One thing that worries me is the loss of the intake resonators -- the heimholz resonators. Those buggers are not only to quiet intake noise, but they are also about timing intake pulses to increase power and torque. I don't care about the noise, but I'm going to be watching low-rpm torque carefully. I don't want to sacrifice that in this truck because of how incredibly eco-aggressive the tranny is. Seems I'm always @ 1krpm

Cheers
I've often wondered about the nuances of inlet tuning and the helmholtz resonators that we see. My guess, and without running testing with pressure probes it will remain as such, is that the helmholtz resonator chambers only impact accoustics. While the chambers do act as temporary accumulators I don't think the pressure waves of the helmholtz chambers are significant to the pressures seen at the intake valves. It may be significant on exhausts as one can run the helmholtz chamber to deaden sound without killing off pressure with a standard muffler, but inlets don't make 'that much' noise so no need for restrictive mufflers.

Some intake design stuff including some basics on intake length and helmholtz theory.

So with the TRD CAI, or other system, the intake runner length / volume / diameter are all being tweaked so the 'peak' may be tuned slightly but I doubt you'll notice a loss of any low end.

Apparently the LS7 (corvette engine) removed the resonator chambers.
Demello Hybrid Bolt On Sliders | Toyo Open Country AT III LT285/70R17 C | Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Pro Stage 2 | Durobumps | Rago Molle Panels | Leather steering wheel cover | RCI Full Skids (Aluminum) | Drawer less drawer system and sleeping platform. | TRD CAI | RAV4 Sideview Mirrors: 87961-42D20 & 87931-42D50 | Blackvue DR650S-2CH | Cobra 75 WX ST with 4’ Firestik + Magnet Roof Top Mount | MXT275 Midland GMRS radio | 3M Crystalline: Front CR70, A-B CR50, B-Aft CR40 | RRW Leather Seat Covers w/Besond Seat Heaters| 3DMax Floor Mats and Rear Husky Liner | former LT265/70R17 C Duratracs
mo_mo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote