Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-26-2015, 04:21 PM

aweaver65 will become famous soon enough

aweaver65 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Roscoe View Post
Do you think Powder Coating is more durable than paint? I was thinking about getting my powder coated. Looks great BTW. Thanks
Powder Coating should be more durable. The difference between Powder Coat and Paint is just the application method. Paint is sprayed on in a liquid form and chemically bonds to the surface, Powder Coat is actually applied as the name states, in a powder form and then baked on. In the oven, the baking causes the powder to melt/flow together and bond to the surface. There is also ESP or electrostatic painting where there is a positive negative charge through the paint and surface to promote a bond.

Ultimately, the bonds are similar after the pigments are set up but Powder should be more resistant to abrasions to some degree. Having said all that, if you never plan to actually load much on the racks, you could probably sand them, prime them with a nice marine grade primer and top coat them and be just fine.
2020 Army Green TRD Pro, RSG Flat Sliders. SV.4 LED's from Headlight Revolution, RAM Mount for Cell Phone (got my cup holder back!), Deleted Roof Rack (sold). Canvas Back full Cargo Liner (for my Dog "Donkey")...
Icon Stage 2, Body Mount Chop, Method MR305's and BFG KO2 285/75/17's (34 Inch Tires) (No rubbing at all), East Coast Gear 4.56 Diffs Front/Rear
aweaver65 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote