Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-27-2015, 05:27 AM

toyo will become famous soon enough

toyo will become famous soon enough
For starters how hot did you let it overheat? These engines are extremely tough and very forgiving but they can only handle so much.

This sounds like a typical low coolant or a pretty good size air pocket. Sometimes after I do a timing belt job I can get these. This is my procedure after I have drained all coolant and such for whatever reason on any vehicle I work on.

Fill radiator to the top.
Fill recovery tank/Degas bottle to the full mark or if it has an H mark.
Start engine and put heat on HIGH
Allow engine to idle with heat on for about 5 to 8 minutes. Watch the temp gauge and feel for warm air to begin to blow.
Once you begin to feel warm air let it idle for about 2 more minutes and then shut it down.
Just let it sit and allow the coolant to start soaking in the engine heat for about 10 minutes.
Go ahead and start engine, verify heat at vents, raise idle to 2K for 90 seconds.
If the temp gauge is doing fine then go for a short drive with heater on, turn in complete 360 degree circles both ways. Try to get on an incline for a moment, etc. What you are doing is trying to get any air pockets you have to burp out.
If you have heat, temp gauge is still good then stop engine, raise hood, check recovery bottle to make sure coolant is present and at the proper level. Do NOT open the radiator! Now just walk away and allow the engine to cool down to ambient temperature.
What you want it to do is pull any coolant the radiator needs from the recovery tank. It acts under a siphon pressure. If you open the tadiator or there's a leak it will not use that vacuum. The coolant level in your recovery tank is always moving for the most part. The hotter your engine gets the more coolant that you will see in your bottle. In the morning it will be at a lower level.

I know this sounds like a lot of stuff, but it's really not. Just take your time and follow what I said. I do ALOT of timing belts and coolant repairs with my auto business and have learned some good tricks.