Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 11:57 PM

Kelbad is on a distinguished road

Kelbad is on a distinguished road
XUJI leather steering wheel cover install. Goodbye plastic steering wheel. OEM?

I bought a used 2010 and was surprised it did not have a leather steering wheel. The plastic wheel is too slippery for my taste but I cannot justify buying a new steering wheel for $500. For less than $60 and three hours of time this works better for my budget. I had used a wheelskin cover on my previous Tacoma and was going to get one for the 4runner but then I found this one by XUji. This cover looks like the OEM wheel- the leather is solid on the top and bottom and perforated on the sides.

I posted some of this in a previous thread on wheel covers HERE and was asked to provide a bit more detail.

I grabbed the Xuji from amazon HERE. It was $59.99 and had free Prime shipping. It does not say it fits the 5th gen but you can see from the photos the wheels appear almost identical. It can be had cheaper if you get it from Aliexpress HERE, but there shipping is slower and I was in a hurry. If I see it show up on aliexpress again for $30ish again I will pick up a spare. Some places on aliexpress let you pick thread color (black, red, blue or white) and with holes or without holes. The one from amazon comes with holes and black thread just like OEM.

If the links are broken on aliexpress, Search for “Black Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover for Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 2010 2012 2014 Tundra Tacoma”.

The install is easy in theory, but it is still time consuming if you are anal and thus it took me over 3 hours to do.
I found a lot of info Tundratalk.net forums HERE.

I did not take off my steering wheel nor remove my airbag and trim to do the install but if I did it again I probably would. Instead, I used the flat tool they provide in the kit to press the leather into the gaps. Tucking in the leather to the gaps takes time and being flexible helps! 

I love this cover. It feels GREAT and the leather quality is awesome. Here are a few photos of mine after the install. Excuse the red dirt covering everything but I was in Moab a couple of weeks ago.
Attached Images
XUJI leather steering wheel cover install. Goodbye plastic steering wheel. OEM?-img_20150429_110024-jpg  XUJI leather steering wheel cover install. Goodbye plastic steering wheel. OEM?-img_20150429_104544172-jpg  XUJI leather steering wheel cover install. Goodbye plastic steering wheel. OEM?-img_20150429_110235-jpg 
Kelbad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote