Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-30-2015, 12:03 AM

Kelbad is on a distinguished road

Kelbad is on a distinguished road
This cover gets tight just like the OEM wheel.

Watch these two videos for help on the install.
Video 1. HERE
This one shows you how to apply the tape and shows you how he positions and re-positions the cover on the wheel. It shows you how to push/tuck the ends behind the trim using the tool (he uses a dull screwdriver!)

Video 2. HERE This video shows the Cross-Stitch pattern.
Important. Notice how he starts. You push the needle through the leather starting from the inside. This lets you really pull the ends together hard if necessary. The cross stitch pattern is very easy. ! Notice how he comes in from the outside and crosses over the thread every time.

If you want to remove your wheel, airbag and trim, here are the steps shown for a tundra. HERE Doing this will make it easier to start and finish sewing each section. I did not do this, fyi.

Helpful Hints:
- The leather stretches easier when it is warm.
- I placed the cover on my steering wheel and let it sit all day while I was at work and the 4runner was parked in the sun. I think this helped stretch it out a bit and helped me get very tight tolerances during the install.
- Leave the tape about a ¼” from the end that will be tucked in next to the verts. If you take it to the end like I did, you will find it sticks beautifully to the verts and makes it a pain in the butt to tuck in!!. Don’t do it!
- Watch the videos. Watch the cross stitch one twice! Notice how he comes in from the outside and crosses over the thread every time.
- Cut and attach the tape in strips as shown in Video 1. You don’t want it bunching up during the install because you will feel it after you are done.
- After you place the tape on the inside of the cover, use something hard (like the round end of the tool) to rub the tape into the leather. Why? The tape is very strong and will really stick to the leather. When you are repositioning the cover to stretch it for the difficult areas, the cover will want to stick to the wheel and not the leather.

My Order:
1. I sewed the 6” bottom section first. Then I used the tool to tuck in the ends behind the verts.
2. I sewed the two sections below the horizontal spokes next. I used the tool to tuck in the ends behind the verts.
3. I sewed the upper half last. It will be the easiest to sew, but will take a long time due to the length.

Place the cover on the wheel and get it lined up.
This process will take some time, don’t rush!!! Take your time and get it perfect.

The little “wings” will face you.

I started at the bottom. It was easy to center this 6” section between the vertical trim pieces. When I was happy, I used my knee/leg to hold it in place from below and then my hands were free to push the rest of the cover on.

Center the seam on the centerline of the wheel.
1. Use the thumb holders to verify position. Those little bumps are a great point of reference.
2. The seams where the leather is sewn should line up and touch at the centerline of the wheel.
Attached Images
XUJI leather steering wheel cover install. Goodbye plastic steering wheel. OEM?-wheel-1-hints-jpg 
Kelbad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote