View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 10:00 AM

wfo9 has a spectacular aura about wfo9 has a spectacular aura about

wfo9 has a spectacular aura about wfo9 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotanut View Post
I could have given it more gas while climbing those grades, but was afraid to get the transmission even hotter than it was already getting, but it sounds like I should shift from S4 on level grades to S5 and give it more gas to try and increase speed to get it to lock. Will this keep transmission temps lower than trying to "baby" it up the grade at S3 maintaining 40mph?

I attached a photo of the conditions of the 4Runner at the top of the Santiam Pass yesterday.
I hate to sound negative, but I really don't think there is much you can do on a really steep grade. More gas in D or S5 will only put it in "flex" lockup (which seems like it would not help much). Momentum and speed appear to be key, but hard to do on a sustained climb with such little power on tap.

I have never towed anything substantial with a 4runner, but I can imagine it being a struggle. People seem to claim they tow in the mountains with "no problems". Does not add up for me.

Have you tried adding an additional trans cooler. A janky approach I've seen used before is a sprayer (think washer bottle...) to mist the fins where the trans lines run. This can provide a cooling boost for sustained climbs.
2011 SR5 4x4, Magnuson Supercharger, ICON ET coil overs, MT ICON LT rear, MT offset lower links, URD Y-Pipe, TC UCAs, Baja Rack, MT Sliders, RCI Aluminum skids, 4.56 gearing with ARB lockers front and rear. 305/70 Goodyear MTRs (34") on Konig Countersteer 17x8. Addicted front bumper, Custom undercover tube protection rear. LT font or SAS going on next.
1989 Hilux - 22RE, SAS, hydro assist, Full Exo cage, dual ultimate cases, RCVs, 529s w Detroit locker rear + ARB front, Diamond Axle, bead locks, 40s.
wfo9 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote