View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 12:28 PM

intense1776 is on a distinguished road

intense1776 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotanut View Post
I could have given it more gas while climbing those grades, but was afraid to get the transmission even hotter than it was already getting, but it sounds like I should shift from S4 on level grades to S5 and give it more gas to try and increase speed to get it to lock. Will this keep transmission temps lower than trying to "baby" it up the grade at S3 maintaining 40mph?

I attached a photo of the conditions of the 4Runner at the top of the Santiam Pass yesterday.

Thanks.
How much does your trailer weigh?

Next time you're in that situation, give 2nd gear a shot. I'm curious to see what would happen to the trans temp. My guess is at low RPM and high gear, less fluid runs through the trans cooler. So, it stands to reason that temps would drop due to increased cooling (due to more fluid circulating) if you shifted to a lower gear. Maybe someone here can confirm whether trans fluid circulation is linked to the OUTPUT shaft speed, or INPUT shaft speed. @1engineer

Max torque output on these motors is around 3,250 RPMs as well, so make that your target when towing and I think you'll have much more success.
1999 T4R LE Black- Sold----1980 Jeep CJ7 8" Lift, 35's- Dead
intense1776 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote