Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-28-2015, 07:56 PM

bagelsjustbagels will become famous soon enough

bagelsjustbagels will become famous soon enough
Adam (bagelsjustbagels) Build Thread - '05 V8 4Runner!

2023 EDIT:
It is a bittersweet day. My beloved 4Runner is now offered at no reserve on bring a trailer. I'm said to see her go but excited to see the memories the new owner makes with her. Tell your friends

2021 EDIT :
HERE IS HOW SHE LOOKS AS OF 2021!

Here she is in stock form.

******Original post****
The Past
Hello Everyone! Long time no see! It's time for another build thread!!!

To set the scene, two months ago I decided to part with my beloved 2nd gen Prerunner. Here is the build thread
This build taught me a lot, and I was even able to win t4r of the month one time.
Also, I had a little bit of fame with my "Best of" Craigslist ad

Although amazing on the trails, this truck was more of a toy-which was truly limited by its 3.0 motor. After numerous fails on trails , I realized that it did not match my need for a trail running overland vehicle, and decided to upgrade.

Out with the old, and in with the new

After looking for what my next vehicle should be- I concluded that the following factors were most important to me.
  • Stock Off road Capability
  • Reliability
  • Capacity for my Overland needs (Roof Top Tent, Awning, Storage Drawers, Weight etc.)
  • Fuel Economy
  • Noise and Comfort
  • Price
  • Aftermarket and Community support
I did not want to be biased, and with a near $15k budget, I had my options. I searched all over- ih8mud, t4r, expeditionportal, toyota120, fjcruiserforumns, even jeep forums.

After my extensive search. I first though that an FJ Cruiser would be right for me. But with the supply and demand so out of wack, along with every other Fj I see being abused. Chances looked slim to get a low mile FJ.
Not to mention-I had concerns about the interior being so small, and my budget FJ would only have the smaller HP engine, rather than the 2010's which got upgraded horsepower.

I then shifted gears towards the 4th gen 4runner. (HAH, get it!? )
This platform still offered A-TRAC, 4wd, the aftermarket support I wanted, but came at about a 6k lower pricepoint.

Finally, I came to realize that the 4runner was the best choice!
  • It has more space
  • They are cheaper
  • They come with a v8 sport package that can tow up to 7000lbs
  • With the Waterpump and timing belt fixed every 90k, these platforms are bulletproof.

So the Hunt began! - Within weeks I found the perfect 4Runner
A 3 owner 108k mile 2005 Sport V8, with the most recent major service(including timing belt and water pump) done just 10k miles ago.

Once this was in my hands. the build began!

Last edited by bagelsjustbagels; 10-17-2023 at 11:33 AM.
bagelsjustbagels is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote