Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-28-2015, 02:12 PM

Rock_Rat is on a distinguished road

Rock_Rat is on a distinguished road
Deck Plate and ISR Mod

Deck Plate/ISR Mod - One of my Earliest Mods

Deck Plate Mod
  • 4” deck Plate (I used white/clear because that’s all they had in the store)
  • Six #8 screws
  • Marine Grade Sealant compatible with ABS and doesn’t interfere with Sensors
Tools needed
  • Something to trace the circle with on your intake box
  • Dremel
  • Screwdriver
  • 3/8” drill
  • Vacuum, shop air, dust off
  • Ratchet, extension, socket

Discalaimer: I’m not going to go into too much detail about the installation process as this has been covered on every forum out there. I’m also not going to get into a discussion about HP gains. Again, that too has been discussed to death.

Why did I do it? It’s an extremely cheap weekend mod that “might” give me some HP gains. Can’t go wrong with cheap and I had nothing to lose! Can’t hurt a thing.

Recommendations:
  • Look for other ways to build your intake tube – I paid about $90 for my Airaid but they’re going up in price and there are cheaper ways with the same result.
  • Hold onto your OEM resonator in the event you can’t stand the noise (I still have mine)
  • Place plastic cap under rear seat with your road kit
  • Install to the left (facing the vehicle) to allow you room to install the cap for water crossings

Simplified Instructions
  • Use outer ring as template
  • Drill 3/8” pilot hole and cut a little larger than (I used a dremel)
  • Use #8 pan head screws (Do not use countersunk or oval head screws)
  • Don't drill any starter holes for the screws
  • Wash and dry entire assembly of all swarf – it gets everywhere
  • I used ABS friendly 3M Marine Adhesive fast cure 5200
  • Ultra Black is also recommended and works great with ABS

Here's Two Links from Speedy for all the first timers out there - enjoy
Project SportRunner - Deck Plate Mod
Project SportRunner - Intake Silencer Removal

There's a bazzillion more out there and on this site.

EDIT: Oh Yea, Final Comments about the Gains
With my stock OEM 4Runner with 265/70R/16s I felt an increased pedal response, but..I just replaced my knock sensors, cleaned my intake manifold, cleaned my MAF, TB, installed new plugs, new filter, new wires, ran some sea foam, and all the good stuff after you've just had your top half all apart. - Sure I'm going to feel a change. It was a pleasant change for my 5vz.

Negligable difference once I did the following:
  • New 17"wheels with 285/70R/17 Toyo AT Open Country Tires = Weight at the wheels
  • Shrockworks bumper, skids, and sliders = more weight

Stock runner great mod. Weight at the wheels and the body, without headers, SC and deeper gears on above - negligible difference. IMO
Attached Images
Rock Rat's Imperial Jade Mica "Next Adventure" Build-deckplate_isr_1-jpg  Rock Rat's Imperial Jade Mica "Next Adventure" Build-deckplate_isr_2-jpg 

Last edited by Rock_Rat; 10-28-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Rock_Rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote