View Single Post
Old 02-02-2016, 11:25 PM

StreetCreeper will become famous soon enough StreetCreeper will become famous soon enough

StreetCreeper will become famous soon enough StreetCreeper will become famous soon enough
Which drives better, an early 3rd gen or a late 3rd gen?

All things being equal among two similarly equipped 3rd gens such as a 1996 Limited 3.4 4wd and a 2002 Limited 3.4 4wd both without any modifications — which has a more refined ride?

Now I know this is completely subjective as well as limiting in scope, since everyone uses their trucks differently. But I'm curious for those who own or at least have driven both said versions of 4runners — what did Toyota learn from 1996 until 2002? What if anything did they implement that improved ride quality or performance. I know that all 3rd gens are virtually identical, but they did make changes here & there.

Since I have only driven one 4Runner (my 1997 ltd) I have nothing to compare it to. Yet I often wonder if I should put my resources into a later year truck....because honestly, after a year or two of working on and driving a 3rd gen, I kinda feel like the 3rd gen is my "forever truck" .

I just like these trucks! Even mine despite having nearly 400k miles on it and none of the fancy bells & whistles of new trucks. Even though I'm always working on it — I still love the damn thing and am not tempted in the least by other trucks or even other generation 4runners.

There's a pretty good chance I'll be that old guy with a cherried-out classic 3rd gen in 20 years who refuses to let go of his baby. Kinda like Clint Eastwood in that movie Gran Torino — only younger and fatter...

I do eyeball later year 3rd gens though, and think wistfully that maybe I should find a good one and put all my effort into it instead of mine.

So, is the grass really greener over in the late year 3rd gen camp? Or am I just imagining it?

Last edited by StreetCreeper; 02-03-2016 at 12:27 PM.
StreetCreeper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote