Thread: Nebraska
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2016, 09:03 PM

jhuerta22 is on a distinguished road

jhuerta22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampled View Post
Hey All,

Ethan here. I just became the proud owner of a 1990 4Runner SR5 3.0L with just over 60,000 original miles. The vehicle's interior looks pristine and has fully functioning power windows, locks, sunroof, rear window, wipers (front/back), aftermarket CD player, and much more!

No pics but here is the link to the craigslist add:

https://siouxcity.craigslist.org/ctd/5501404624.html

Don't worry, I didn't pay that much for it. Ended up spending $3,850. How did I do? With 60,000 original miles and many more under the hood I thought it was a great deal.

It has a couple things that I need to get checked out:

There is a pretty decent dent on the front passenger side fender. Does anyone know of a good aftermarket parts store (online prefered) that has good looking, high quality replacement parts for these vehicles or am I best looking in scrapyards? As a new member of the 4Runner world I would be very appreciative of any resources provided.

The AC doesn't work. It could be coolant needs filling up but there could also be a leak. Is this a common occurance? With it being 26 years old the chances of it not having any coolant are higher.

The last, and most likely the most major, issue to touch on is when I take a HARD left turn there is a popping sound every 2-3 rotations of the rim. Of course I am turning at very slow speeds when this happens but it still is of concern. No sounds to speak of when turning normally or driving straight. A buddy thinks it either the ball joint or an axle issue (ballpark $500 fix). What do you think? Thoughts?

I look forward to chatting with you all. I am excited to fix this car up and hopefully turn it into a trekking/camping vehicle. Not looking to major rock crawling or anything. Driving long distances, some mud/off-road, camping, trekking, etc. I currently live in Lincoln, NE and am a huge fan of music, concerts, camping, cocktails, beer, and food. I work as a restaurant manager at a local restaurant/brewery. Ask me anything.

Cheers!
Sounds like a pretty solid deal! 4runners are fairly scarce in this part of the country in terms of junk yard finds. I usually make a trip out to Denver if I'm in dire need of parts, but there are a few junked 2nd Gen 4runners in my area if you need anything I'll check and see if they have it.

I'm sure there's plenty of guys know here that can help you with any air conditioning issues you may have, as well as CV axle issues. I own a 3rd gen, and it's been a few years since I had my 2nd gen. Any specifics you have just send me a message and I'll do my best to help you out or point you in the right direction.
"4-Lo Silver" 2010 4Runner Trail, bone stock, 178K, Lovin' it
jhuerta22 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote