Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 12:48 AM

A.Wilson013 will become famous soon enough

A.Wilson013 will become famous soon enough
Help me identify a LOUD rattle (with video)

For the past couple weeks my 4Runner has had this nasty rattle. It's LOUD. The video does not do it justice.

Only happens when I am going slow- usually when rolling to a stop with no throttle like I am here, or when accelerating from a stop with part throttle. OCCASIONALLY it will do it if I am in gear while stopped in traffic. I've never heard it while going over 20mph.

In this video I have removed all of my skid plates and placed wooden shims between my exhaust and the frame crossmembers anywhere they could possibly hit.

After this video I removed everything off of my tire carrier (everything) and nothing changed.

I've made sure all heat shields on the exhaust are clear of anything, and all bolts are tightened.

I'm at a loss here. To me it sounds like it's coming from right underneath of me, but I have checked, double, and triple checked all of the bolts on the sway bar, steering rack, brakes, etc.

While doing my trouble shooting I was able to find a few other rattles, but none of them were this one. I've hit everything with a rubber mallet and cannot replicate the sound. I think my next step is to try and kill myself by putting the rear axle on jack stands and putting it in drive.

Last edited by A.Wilson013; 04-26-2016 at 12:53 AM.
A.Wilson013 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote